Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Random Stuff On A Wednesday





I know "Mr. Moonlight" often gets cited as one of the worst records in The Beatles catalogue, but I've never felt that way. I think Lennon's vocals are a powerhouse, and that roller rink organ behind those maudlin harmonies make for one of the more interesting album cuts of the early years. But as I was listening to the original Dr. Feelgood version, I imagined John and Paul listening to it in some pub, and I suddenly heard what they heard. If I was a Beatle in 1965, having a few pints, I'd want to cover this, as well.






Once I became a Genesis fan after falling head over heels for "Selling England By The Pound" and their first post-Peter Gabriel release, the stellar "A Trick Of The Tail," my actual entry into the band, I of course, had to go back and hear what I had missed. When I finally made it to their debut, 1969's "From Genesis To Revelation," I was mortified.  This was not the band I fell in love with. Where were the odd time signatures and extended solos?




It took many, many years for me to revisit this record, and I did so after hearing the track "Am I Very Wrong" on Disc Two of the "Come Join My Orchestra" boxed set, which I raved about here.
This three and a half minute masterwork felt perfect nestled among the treasure trove of British baroque pop within. The light bulb went on and that record that I found so repelling over 40 years ago suddenly made sense, as I listened to it again and again. I wonder if the non-Genesis fans would take to it. It's an often beautiful collection of short and wonderfully melodic pieces that remind me of The Moody Blues, without the pomp or narration. I posted two tracks. See what you think.



FINALLY...

From a record dealer friend to all my record buying friends....been there, done that, no?





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there was another Dr. Feelgood different from the Dr. Feelgood we all know and love.

Re: USPS - Sal, we've had that discussion several times before. Just let me say that if there happens to be an employee of the Chicago customs office that is a reader of this blog... "Please release my record and quit holding it prisoner!!"

Been there over a month...

Randy

hpunch said...

I had a similar path to Genesis, but got to that pre-prog stuff before you. I was always fond of it when no one else I knew agreed That is until now.

Anonymous said...

There are only 3 official/semi-official Beatlesongs I cannot stomach - Til There Was You, What's The New MaryJane, and The Long And Winding Road. I always liked Mr. Moonlight, for the stated reasons you mentioned; Lennon totally went for it on that vocal, and I can just about see him winking at an imaginary camera as he sung it.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

@C In Cali,
I'll take "Till There Was You" over "A Taste Of Honey."

Anonymous said...

Well....even the Beatles couldn't improve on Herb Alpert's version (Yes, I know Herb's post-dated the Beatles version).
C in California

Anonymous said...

Boy, you ain't kidding about that 'Moody Blues without the pomp and narration' when it comes to your second Genesis cut! I'd add a smidgen of Ringo military drums on the little fills.
C in California

ken49 said...

I will check this out. One of your previous posts talked about viewing Genesis' Supper's Ready as a series of songs instead of one long piece and totally changed my appreciation. Another one that totally has blown me away is Caravan's 1st album. Had never heard it before or read much about it but a really solid group of songs. I never tire of discovering new to my ears recordings from the late 60's and early 70's. Yikes that was a long time ago.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Ken49
I couldn't agree with you more regarding the first Caravan. It's a completely different world than what followed. A beautiful record.

Jeff in Denton TX said...

"The Silent Sun" is a nice Bee Gees-esque tune and I also dig "When the Sour Turns to Sweet." I'm admittedly a sucker for Mellotron-based music in general.