Sunday, June 7, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 5/30-6/5


Sister Midnight- Iggy Pop
Night School- Frank Zappa
A Break In The Clouds- The Jayhawks
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)- Marvin Gaye
Teresa- Los Super Seven
Latin Trip- Latin Playboys
Patricia Gone With Millicent- Mighty Terror

zip

Sister Midnight- Iggy Pop
The recently reissued Iggy Pop boxed set "The Bowie Years" got me in the mood for this one.

Night School- Frank Zappa
I remember how disappointed I was when "Jazz From Hell" was released. It remains one of the most aptly named records in my collection. I do love this track, though.

A Break In The Clouds- The Jayhawks
Another example of my favorite album by a band being the least favored by critics and fans. This track is a beauty from that album, "Smile."

Mercy Mercy Me- Marvin Gaye
No explanation needed. I hope.

Teresa- Los Super Seven
I really felt like hearing "El Canoero" from the Super 7 debut, but alas, I didn't have the album or their third, "Heard It On The X" in my library. "Teresa" is damn good, nonetheless. Anyone have the first or third albums digitized? Please send them along, if it's not too much trouble.

Latin Trip- Latin Playboys
Courtesy of the iPod on  shuffle. Good timing, too.

Patricia Gone With Millicent- Mighty Terror
One of my favorite places to visit is the Holland Tunnel Dive blog. It is a treasure trove of reggae, world music, avant-garde, roots and more. All 6 volumes of the wonderful "London Is The Place To Be" series were posted the other day. This amazing piece of work is from Volume 5.

7 comments:

bing stills said...

Hey Sal, found El Canoero, but that's all I have.http://www.mediafire.com/file/9sr3ad43g5j706v/El_Canoero_Los_Super_Seven.mp3/file

Sal Nunziato said...

Thx Bing!

JAYESSEMM said...

Very nice Sal -- Thanks.

I'm with you 100% on The Jayhawks.

Now to take that deep dive into The Holland Tunnel :-)


A walk in the woods said...

Burning Wood's Songs Of The Week - one of the few things some of us can just about know is coming every week, in the good news category!

(I am unemployed for the first time in 27 years right now - feeling very positive about next steps, but still.... uncertain... and cash-less)

Thanks for your consistency in a nutty world, Sal!

dogbreath said...

Many thanks for zipping it all up! I confess The Jayhawks "Smile" album was a letdown for me but the tune here is a little gem. Cheers!

Bill said...

The discussion about Smile sent me back to listen to it yesterday, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I still think Smile is a great song, and a lot of the others landed well yesterday. Hadn't pulled it out in 5 or 6 years, so thanks for that.

Think I might visit some Golden Smog on this sunny Tuesday. :)

Anonymous said...

Is there a spookier bit of music than the last 30 seconds of Mercy Mercy Me? No there is not. I dunno who thought it up, but jeez it still gives chills in the best way.
C in California