Thursday, June 4, 2020

The New Steve Earle Record



"The Ghosts Of West Virginia" packs a real wallop in a very short time, clocking in at just about 30 minutes. My initial reaction to its release was tepid at best, and I am a fan. A "concept" record/soundtrack to "Coal County," a 2010 theatre piece about the Upper Big Branch mine explosion that killed 29 men, is a Steve Earle project that did not immediately appeal to my musical sensibilities. The subject was serious and I wasn't ready to work that hard. But as I said, I am a fan, so I had to listen and "The Ghosts Of West Virginia" pays off big time.

It's pure Steve Earle & the Dukes. It's an emotional powerhouse. It's a story worth hearing, in songs that can fit naturally among Earle's best work. And if during "It's About Blood," your heart and soul is not shaken by his recitation of the 29 men who lost their lives, please see a doctor about both.

I was put off by the concept, not due to an insensitivity to the subject matter, but simply because, sometimes I just want a record with some new songs. Earle's been cranking out "theme" records for some time, with tributes to both Townes Van Zandt & Guy Clark, an album of "outlaw country," an album of bluegrass, etc.. With each record I hesitate, thinking, I'm not in the mood for an hour of Guy Clark, or an hour of Townes. It's like attending a concert where the band performs a classic album from head to tail. You know what's coming! Play the whole album live, just do it across two hours and out of order. That seems more exciting to me.

But I digress.

Once I went in, Steve Earle's "Townes" and "Guy" became favorites, and after three spins, "The Ghosts Of West Virginia" is right up there with the best of Steve Earle's work. It will be the first thing I listen to...again...this morning.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

just don't listen to Union God & Country last - major ear worm.

JAYESSEMM said...

Thanks Sal. This is an album that should be in my wheelhouse and I just didn't try. Seeing your comments it was as if you've been reading my mind.

I will give it a good listen today.

Be well everybody.

Rob said...

I used to like and listen to Steve Earle's music a lot but somehow we parted company somewhere along the line, probably around Jerusalem (yes, that long ago). I don't really know why - most likely it was me and not Steve. Is the new record a good way back in would you say?

Sal Nunziato said...

Rob,
You and I share that experience. I temporarily got off the bus during that run of records, "Jerusalem," "Transcendental Blues" and The Revolution Starts Now." I still don't love those records. Things picked up for me with "Washington Square Serenade" and continued strong. I am pretty sure I went on the record here saying "The Low Highway" from 2013 was and still is my favorite Steve Earle record. Maybe that's your way back in.

Rob said...

Thanks, Sal. I'll give it a try!

Rob said...

Well, Sal, I had a listen to The Low Highway and found a lot to enjoy. I'll try to listen some more and get better acquainted. The trouble I have, and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone in this, is in getting 'new' stuff to stick in the same way that the songs I was listening to 30,40,50 years ago, which are still running round in the grooves of the old cerebral cortex, have done. Getting old, huh? Not so much fun as it used to be!

Anonymous said...

i'm attached to the "Jerusalem" - "Revolution" run of albums since they had the most rockin Dukes, Will Rigby and Eric Ambel. I suppose I would have been happy if he had kept the V-Roys, too. Rigby and Ambel were also the band on the Earle-produced "The Northeast Kingdom" by Cheri Knight (of the Blood Oranges). I do get the feeling that, without a theme for an album, Earle is having a hard time writing.

Michael Giltz said...

I like the album a lot. I love Earle and his post-jail post-rehab career is wonderful and a gift. I've at least enjoyed everything (including the tribute albums). But whether acoustic or rocking, he remains a consistent pleasure. I've also noticed a LOT of albums coming in at the 30m mark, a welcome return to conciseness after stars were gaming the streamers by adding on tons of bonus tracks to up their income. First CDs made everyone think a 60 min shiny disc should be filled up and then they pulled back. Then streaming made albums even longer. Now thank god if someone wants to put out an EP or a single or whatever, they do. And shorter, tighter albums are making a comeback (Earle, Teddy Thompson, many others). Huzzah! But yes, the Earle is a very good, passionate release worth anyone's time.