Monday, July 13, 2020

More Ringo




There's a new Ray Wylie Hubbard record. It's called "Co-Starring" and it features, among others, guest appearances by Pam Tillis, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Larkin Poe and on the opening track "Bad Trick," Joe Walsh on guitar, Don Was on bass, Chris Robinson on vocals and Ringo Starr on drums.

"Co-Starring" is a typically wonderful Hubbard affair with songs running the gamut from heartbreak to hilarity. "I'm gonna drink till I see double and then I'm taking one of you home," for example. Or, the stunningly beautiful closer "The Messenger" where RWH states, "I am not looking for loose diamonds, or pretty girls with crosses around their necks, I don't want Four Roses and water, I'm not looking for God, I just want to see what's next."

But it's the title track that kills me, maybe for an obvious reason. "Bad Trick" is a burner, and I'll give the credit to Mr. Starkey. This video absolutely tickled me. Try to ignore Don Was and enjoy Ringo being all "Ringoey," as my pal Peter put it. Ringo doesn't like playing drums alone these days. Even on his All-Starr tours, he plays along while the main drummer Greg Bissonette does all the hard work. But on "Bad Trick" it's all Richie, sounding very "White Album" with his groove and fills.




Last week  I mentioned a TV special being aired on AXS-TV, celebrating the Beatle's 80th birthday. It was a mostly fun affair, with new video contributions from Sheila E. with Ringo on drums turning in a solid "Come Together," Joe Walsh doing a DIY version of "Boys," and Sheryl Crow pulling a Roy Wood, playing a half dozen or so instruments including a cello for a fine take of "All You Need is Love." Friends and family from Edgar Winter and Mick Fleetwood to a whole lotta little Starkeys sent birthday greetings and Ringo played host from behind his kit, airing video clips of his All-Starr Band, as well as a new video for his single "Give More Love" that featured vocal contributions from an endless roster of rockers, including Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Willie Nelson, Jackson Browne and more. Sir Paul was a no-show, which was both a surprise and a disappointment, and instead the show closed with a clip from a few years ago of Paul and Ringo doing "Helter Skelter" from one of Macca's live shows.

Somehow, Peter Frampton's lovely take of "It Don't Come Easy" did not make the final cut. Thanks to hpunch for finding this one and sending it off to me.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

heard another Ray Wylie cut off the album on the car radio (Pacifica station) on the way to the post office this morning, Cadillac 3 as the backing band. Hot!

JAYESSEMM said...

I'm diggin' this record too!

dogbreath said...

Cracking stuff! And the Peter Frampton cut is excellent. Many thanks for the post. Cheers!

FD13NYC said...

Yep, good swampy song and video by Ray Wylie Coyote.

hpunch said...

Nifty slide by Joe Walsh.. Nice cut.
I did my best, but eyes still caught the horrifying sight of Don Was on the upright.

Christine said...

LOVE the song and video! Frampton's version WAS lovely! Sadly, I do not have AXS TV-I really must see this show.