Wednesday, July 15, 2020

This Week In Jazz: Grant's First Stand



"Grant Green's Blue Note debut album, 1961's 'Grant's First Stand,' still ranks as one of his greatest pure soul-jazz outings, a set of killer grooves laid down by a hard-swinging organ trio. For having such a small lineup -- just organist Baby Face Willette and drummer Ben Dixon -- the group cooks up quite a bit of power, really sinking its teeth into the storming up-tempo numbers, and swinging loose and easy on the ballads."

That is the first paragraph of All Music's review and I agree wholeheartedly. But I'd also like to add that what I find most appealing about "Grant's First Stand" is how well it sits musically next to your go-to rock and soul albums of the 70's. Four of the six songs are band originals, so if you're a bit apprehensive about diving in, fearing an umpteeth take on a standard when jazz really isn't your thing in the first place, I suggest that you at least give Side One a chance.

I also find it interesting how 1961 for rock and roll seems like ancient times compared to what began to take place just five or six years later. Think "Tossin' & Turnin" or "Take Good Care Of My Baby" versus "Paint It Black." But jazz in 1961 was already a few years into a new wave of groovin', especially the records being released on Blue Note, than say the classics like "Blue Train" or Cannonball Adderley's "Something Else," from just a few years earlier.

"Grant's First Stand" sounds even more daring than a few of Green's Blue Note classics that followed.

It's worth taking for a ride.

5 comments:

Joe said...

Hi Sal,
I listened to the entire album and went from, "this is ok, to I really like this," by the end of the record. I just ordered the cd within the Blue Note 5 original album series. Can't wait to hear the others one. I missed Mr. Green in my initial foray into jazz in the '80s, glad I can enjoy him now. Joe

Ccjctwo said...

Unsung, under-appreciated, underrated - somehow Grant Green gets all those laurels. Heard 'Carryin' On' for the first time just last week. I am sure this effort is equal to that one. Thanks for the link!

pmac said...

I had all 5 of these on vinyl at one time. I since reacquired them in the 5 cd set that Joe referenced. Really like Green and his contemporary, Wes Montgomery. My father-in-law played strings on a few albums released by Wes.

Keith35 said...

I'm a huge GG fan.I have about a dozen of his albums live/studio. Surprisingly, I don't have his first album. I'll have to pick it up

Whattawino said...

This was a new listen for me and I really dug it! Thanks for tip, mister!