Thursday, July 29, 2021

Fanning Is Finning

 

 

 

There is a fairly recent release titled "True Colours, New Colours" which features 11 Australasian artists reimagining Split Enz 80's classic "True Colours." I am unfamiliar with most everyone who contributed and so I wasn't too eager to give this collection a spin. Thankfully, my bandmate John Dunbar is a fan of Bernard Fanning and passed this gem on to me.

"I Hope I Never" is a Tim Finn career highlight and Fanning takes this beautiful song to a wonderful new place.


4 comments:

pmac said...

Fanning is a name I haven't thought about in a long time. He has at least one solo album that I used to own, Tea & Sympathy. Its very good. Kinda in an Americana vein.

Anonymous said...

Bernard Fanning was the singer for Powderfinger before starting his solo career.He does a very nice reworking of the song. I looked over the list of artists/songs on the list and only recognize a few other names (Shihad, The Beths). Most are, like Split Enz, from New Zealand, though Fanning is Australian and I expect some of the others live outside of NZ.

Tim Finn has a new EP with Phil Manzanera, Caught By The Heart, that is a bit of a departure for Tim. It's worth giving a spin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYGa-NW8k0

- Paul in DK

cmealha said...

Started out a little 'meh' but as it built I dug it more and more. Really good version.

hpunch said...

I love this..... but I think you know that already,