Sunday, October 31, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 10/23-10/29

 


 

M'Lady- Sly & The Family Stone
A Legal Matter- The Who
Baby's Breath- Pretenders
Nails In My Feet- Crowded House
Izzat Love- Jamie Hoover
Memory's Garden- Trouble
Tide is High- U-Roy

zip

M'Lady- Sly & the Family Stone
I enjoyed a mini Sly binge last week. One friend commented, "For a short time, there was no one better." This track only peaked at #93 in 1968, though it can be found on the "Greatest Hits" set. If you've loved the hits all these years, I suggest starting from scratch. The band's debut "A Whole New Thing" is a killer.

A Legal Matter- The Who
I stopped trying to figure out how my mind works ages ago, but maybe some of you will understand why this Who track sounded just right following Sly & The Family Stone.

Baby's Breath- Pretenders
I picked up a very reasonably priced copy of the Pretenders vinyl box at a record show because even though I owned most of it, I wanted "¡Viva El Amor!" I also knew I could sell "Isle Of View" for good money and it would pay for the set and then some. That said, my "One Sentence Review" of this album is still up and I stand by it. Here's one of many great songs from that album.

Nails In My Feet- Crowded House
One of Neil Finn's most beautiful. That last verse and its crescendo never fails to give me chills.

Izzat Love- Jamie Hoover
So word on the street is that Patti Smith inducted Todd Rundgren into the RNRHOF via a "deeply personal pre-taped message." Daryl Hall sent in a few words, as well, while the man himself, true to his word, played a concert a few miles away in Cincinnati and did not attend. I have mixed feelings about all of it, but for now, here is a cover of a song from 1974's "Todd" album by Spongetone Jamie Hoover.

Memory's Garden- Trouble
I do love this band, especially the two DefJam records, which are more than just recycled 70's metal riffs. Try this one on for size.

Tide Is High- U-Roy
I'll close this out on a high note, in more ways than one. You know the song, but U-Roy's toasting sends it to new blissful heights.

3 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Love M'Lady - thanks for this!

JAYESSEMM said...

On your prodding I'm listening to ¡Viva El Amor! Very nice!

dogbreath said...

Liking a lot the Baby's Breath/Nails In My Feet segue. Another fine SOTW zipped thing. Cheers!