Wednesday, October 20, 2021

The Humpty Dump


 

From the 2001 "Watts Funky" collection, please get your hump day groove on to The Vibrettes' "Humpty Dump."

The Vibrettes, like most of the acts on "Watts Funky," feature heavy involvement from Johnny Otis and Shuggie Otis, hence the full title, "Johnny Otis & Friends- Watts Funky."  There are tracks dating back to 1968, as well as some extended disco burners from the late 70's. There really isn't a bad cut to be found.

I bring this up now because I found a very inexpensive vinyl copy last week and it jogged my memory of having the CD for sale in the shop, playing it often and selling it just as often. I had forgotten how much I loved this collection.

Here's another, this one from Vera Hamilton called "But I Ain't No More (G.S.T.S.K.D.T.S.)" I tried, but couldn't quite decipher the abbreviation.




8 comments:

Stu said...

from YouTube comments:
Genuine Stompdown Twentycat Sho'nuff Knockdown Dragout Tallmouth Strungout

Sal Nunziato said...

Ha! That's great, Stu!
I guess I missed that.

Anonymous said...

Both are killer funk. I used to listed to Johnny Otis's radio show on KPFA since he played so many great songs. Now to track down that compilation...

I heard the first 3 (G.S.T.) starting at about 40 seconds into the track, but couldn't get the rest. Nice of Stu to help out.

- Paul in DK

Troy said...

Those two cuts are a blast! Thanks for sharing this midweek feel-good moment.

Anonymous said...

I didn't need to hear anything beyond the first track with Debbie Lyndsey to order this. Thanks for the heads up!

Randy

pmac said...

Humpty Dumpty reminds me of Roger & The GYpsies' "Pass the Hatchet."

JAYESSEMM said...

Very Groovy!

Whattawino said...

I was one of those who heard it and bought it in your shop and LOVE it still! Thanks…then and now!