Sunday, February 13, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 2/5-2/11

 


Haunted- Shane MacGowan & Sinead O'Connor
And I Moved- Pete Townshend
Like A Stranger- The Psychedelic Furs
Discount Dogs- The Joe Perry Project
Wanda & Duane- Marshall Crenshaw
Black Eyed Susan- Paul Westerberg
My Name Is Jack- Manfred Mann

zip

Haunted- Shane MacGowan & Sinead O'Connor
I hadn't thought about this lovely track in ages and then two separate friends posted about Shane on Instagram and this is the song that came to mind.

And I Moved- Pete Townshend
The Who announced a tour this week. I expect a barrage of negativity from the naysayers who haven't seen the band perform live since Woodstock. I'm ready. Here's a song they won't do, of course, but I enjoyed "Empty Glass" last week and this song especially.

Like A Stranger- The Psychedelic Furs
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think "Mirror Moves" is the Furs best.

Discount Dogs- The Joe Perry Project
Here's another song I hadn't thought about in ages. (I don't think anyone has.) Perry's solo debut was a disappointment at the time, but it did have some moments. I love this fake funk track and the cool drumming from Ronnie Stewart.

Wanda & Duane- Marshall Crenshaw
This was almost the "Cover Of The Day" but thought it deserved a promotion.

Black Eyed Susan- Paul Westerberg
See "One Sentence Review" on the left.

My Name Is Jack- Manfred Mann
Picked up two collections this week- one of about 60 jazz and R&B records, and another of about 200 rock and soul albums and 200 singles. I pulled Manfred Mann's "Best Of," among other things, for myself. This closes Side Two and this week's set.


9 comments:

kevin m said...

Re: The Furs. I probably need to revisit Mirror Moves but my favorite album by them is Talk Talk Talk with their debut a close second

Anonymous said...

I saw The Who in '82 in Dallas - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sal, when have you seen them? My dream concert would have been to see The High Numbers at a little club in London back in the day.

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
First time was Shea Stadium with The Clash, and then numerous times since. Never saw them with Keith. There were down years, of course. Love Simon Phillips, but not drumming for The Who. Once Zak Starkey took over, it was like Moon reincarnated. 2006 and 2015 and 2016 were some of the best shows I have ever seen.

JAYESSEMM said...

Nice!

I've been "Haunted" bu Shane MacGowan since your Cracklin' Rosie Cover Of The Day!

Thanks Sal

Joe said...

After listening to My Name is Jack, by MM (Which I really like), I went back to the original version by John Simon on the 1968 soundtrack, You Are What You Eat. This movie must have been a hoot (never saw it). (Japanese CD reissue). The soundtrack includes Peter Yarrow, Paul Butterfield, John Simon, John Herald, The Electric Flag and Tiny Tim backed by The Band (!) absent Levon. It must have been during the time period in Woodstock before Levon rejoined the boys. TT and The Band cover Be My Baby and I Got You Babe. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

A Walk In The Woods said...

I've never heard most of these - looking forward to it!

Troy said...

I'm not a big fan of the Furs, but MM is easily my favorite. I think it's really solid.

I have liked The Who forever, but somehow had not seen them live until 3 or 4 years ago. They had an orchestra for the Quadrophenia section and I thought the whole show was terrific.

Anonymous said...

After all these years, it finally hit me what And I Moved reminds me of -- shimmery intro, driving-but-melancholy feel, bouncy rhythm: Phasors On Stun by FM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SO8x_j-4Iw
C in California

Softshoebanana said...

Sal, Empty Glass is an excellent album and one I often listen to...great choice.