Tuesday, May 10, 2022

1972

 

 

From their debut in 1990, right until their first break-up and final live shows in 2010, the Black Crowes could do no wrong in my book. Not all of their records were perfect, but all of their live shows were. During that twenty year stretch, I must have seen this band live about 60 times. There were a few tours where I saw them three or four times in one week. They were that good at rocking the house.

Since then, the baggage has become too heavy. The solo careers of Chris and Rich Robinson bored me. The battle of the brothers didn't amuse me at all.

But Chris & Rich are making nice, now.

I have little interest in the current reunion of the brothers, partly because The BC's are featuring "Shake Your Money Maker" for its 30th anniversary. One of the best things about the band's live shows was the spontaneity of the setlists, so that is out the window. But also, Steve Gorman is not on drums. Trust me when I say, his playing made that band in many ways. The BC's rhythm section, first with Johnny Colt on bass, then with Sven Pipien, was rock solid. It was a powerhouse of rhythm that kept the brothers from going off the rails. 

This brings me to The Black Crowes new Amazon Original E.P., "1972," which features six covers all from...you got it...1972. 

In short, this is a very uneven affair. 

In concert, the BC's would cover anyone at anytime, from Dylan to Pink Floyd, T. Rex to Gram Parsons and Tom Rush. Live, it always worked. But about a minute into the opener of "1972", a clunky, misguided take on the Stones' "Rocks Off," I was wondering if Chris Robinson had ever heard the song before. It doesn't get better with the T. Rex classic "The Slider" or Bowie's "Moonage Daydream." The band is fine throughout, but Chris Robinson does not have the swagger or finesse to pull off Mick, Marc or David and all three versions made me cringe.

It's not all bad. Straight readings of Rod Stewart's "You Wear It Well" and Little Feat's "Easy To Slip" are closer to the Crowes' wheelhouse and the biggest surprise is the track I thought might be the biggest mistake. "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" is the lead single, and rather than it being the trainwreck I had predicted in my head, the band delivers a greasy groove that reminded me of why I loved this band in the first place.

I don't know if there is new material in the Black Crowes future, and after reading Steve Gorman's tell-all memoir about life with The Robinsons, I sincerely doubt there is any chance that those three will play nice ever again. But I do hope "1972" isn't the last recording we get from this band. That would be a very sorry way to go out.


7 comments:

wardo said...

Gorman's story about learning that the brothers blew off a chance to collaborate in the studio with Jimmy Page is priceless.

A Walk In The Woods said...

I went to high school with Sven Pipien, in south Atlanta where I still live. The Crowes being an ATL band, lotta hometown pride here!

I don't hate the new EP as much as you, though I did laugh when I heard Chris' vocals on Rocks Off... he was off.

But speaking of records called 1972... have you ever heard Josh Rouse's album 1972? Oh man, I love that record.

The title song is magical.
Check it out, I think you'll really like it if you haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_o3KrccNmo

kevin m said...

Hey Sal - you know how much I love the Crows. I've seen them more than any act over the decades and enjoyed every show for many of the reasons you listed. I had/have deep reservations about the latest version of the band. The SYMM tour is obviously a cash grab but most of the reviews I've read have been positive (although not glowing)

So I was curious when I heard about this release and spent some time over the weekend listening to it. You're spot on about the Stone cover; it's horrible. Which is stunning given how many times I've seen the band cover the Crowes (check out the last show of the 2010 tour from the Fillmore which features almost an hour of Stones music all expertly played). But the rest of the EP is pretty good.

Over the weekend my wife were trying to think of how to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in Sept. And it turns out we decided to go to Dublin for a week and we'll be seeing the Crowes there. I'm keeping expectations to a minimum. Figure a few gallons of Guiness will insure a fun night!

buzzbabyjesus said...

I watched the trailer you posted. It's too bad Rock N Roll is for old people. "1972" is a museum exhibit, a diorama of taxidermy and artificial plants. The reason "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" works is it's not just a cover, they had to be creative, and make it their own to pull it off.

roryg said...

Since Gorman started up Trigger Hippy, I listen to that more than any recent BC. I wish TH would put out some new material.

paulinca said...

The Crowes have been one of my favorite bands for a quarter century. Their live shows promise excitement when the covers of classic songs can be the highlight of an evening. I was there at the 2010 "Farewell" show at the Fillmore when they nailed six Stones songs perfectly. When the Brothers R. announced the "reunion" a couple of years ago, I was also hesitant, especially since Chris' band was making interesting music and Rich's Magpie Salute gathered up most of the Crowes. That said, I caught a SYMM show last year and while the first album, in track listed order wasn't a thrill, the songs popped. The second set, mainly of Southern Harmony cuts but other songs throughout their catalogue, I danced and celebrated the music and the band. It's still worth it to see them.

paulinca

Chris S. said...

By last September I was dying for some live Rock & Roll after the previous 15 months. I grabbed some tickets for Jones Beach for me and my son and headed off with low expectations due to previous decades worth of Robinson brothers BS. I have to say that we had a blast. The band was tight and while I don't generally want to hear complete albums live, it was fun to hear those songs again in that setting. I don't think I want to go again to the same SYMM show, but wouldn't mind it if they toured the Southern Harmony record at all.

The ep is not very good though and a strange release.