Sunday, June 26, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 6/18-6/24

 


 

President Gas- The Psychedelic Furs
I Believe She's Lying- Rhett Miller
See See Rider- Duke Ellington & Ray Brown
I've Been Wrong Before- The Everly Brothers
Baby Blue- The Beach Boys
My Vision Of Love- The Whiffs
Here Come The Warm Jets- Eno

zip

President Gas- The Psychedelic Furs
It seems like there are just as many artists canceling dates as there are artists going on tour. (China Crisis Anniversary Tour, anyone?) Well, the Furs are playing with X opening and I am really thinking about being there. If they don't cancel, they may even do this one!

I Believe She's Lying- Rhett Miller
A friend sent me an Old 97's track which reminded me of how much I love Rhett Miller's "The Believer."

See See Rider- Duke Ellington & Ray Brown
Dig it, from one of my favorite jazz records of all time, "This One's For Blanton."

I've Been Wrong Before- The Everly Brothers
See "One Sentence Review" on the left.

Baby Blue- The Beach Boys
A new expanded version of "The Sounds Of Summer" was just released, a whopping 6-LPs featuring dozens of brand new stereo mixes. This gem from Dennis Wilson stood out.

My Vision Of You- The Whiffs
I wrote about The Whiffs in 2020. Remember? Well, the album is still great. Check out more over here.

Here Come The Warm Jets- Eno
This song is a great opener, a great transition and a great closer.  Today, it's a closer.


5 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for this Sal, and happy Sunday!

dogbreath said...

That was a good week: The Beach Boys, the Furs and he of the multi-parted moniker bringing up the rear with his Warm Jets. Thanks for such delightful stuff. Cheers!

kevin m said...

Back from a week in London where we saw great shows by The Wonder Stuff and on Saturday the Stones in Hyde Park!

Going to spend my birthday on Thursday seeing China Crisis - but I guess I may lose some street cred here by doing that :)

Sal- we are going to the Furs/X show next month. Pier 17 is quickly becoming one of my favorite venues in NYC

Sal Nunziato said...

Kevin,
First...how was the Stones show? Happy you made it!

Next, I can't remember a note from China Crisis, though I did own that album with the blue cover. I was really just commenting on the "anniversary." Wasn't one I was expecting to celebrate!

Finally, Happy Birthday and...once the 7-day forecast is out for the week of that Furs shows, I will decide about getting us tickets. I'll keep you posted.

kevin m said...

Sal- Stones were great. Not El Mocambo great but far better than when I saw them in 2018 and 2019. Steve Jordan makes a difference but the big factor is Keith. He's playing so much better now than he has over the past few years. And Mick at 79 is just ridiculous!

As for China Crisis, I last saw them in the Summer of 85 when they toured behind Flaunt the Imperfection (or as you refer to it, the one with the blue cover) which was produced by Walter Becker. I'm not expecting much (especially after my London shows) but hopefully should be a pleasant night out.