Sunday, July 10, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 7/2-7/8

 


 

Panic In The World- Be-Bop Deluxe
Whips And Furs- The Vibrators
All Sold Out- The Rolling Stones
Heart- Nick Lowe
Ship Of Fools- Grateful Dead
Take Five- The Young Lions
Back In The Crowd- Tom Waits

zip

Panic In The World- Be-Bop Deluxe
I had been waiting impatiently for the release of "Drastic Plastic" in 1978 and called every record store on street date over and over. "Did you get in 'Drastic Plastic by Be-Bop Deluxe?" "Did you get in 'Drastic Plastic by Be-Bop Deluxe?" "Did you get in 'Drastic Plastic by Be-Bop Deluxe?" "Did you get in 'Drastic Plastic by Be-Bop Deluxe?" Finally, my grandmother shouted "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KEEP SAYING?! STOP IT!" True story. Anyway, "Panic In The World" is an appropriate and excellent way to get things started.

Whips And Furs- The Vibrators
Another true story-- I had been looking for a copy of the legendary Vibrators album "Pure Mania" for years. I could never find one. Seems like everyone was looking for this punk classic. Finally, about two years ago I found TWO copies at the same record show, one of them a white label promo. I bought both, assuming I'd sell that second one immediately. It took me two years to sell that second copy. Just my luck. Everyone wants records until I have them for sale!

All Sold Out- The Rolling Stones
Listened to "Between The Buttons" for the first time in years. I love Charlie on this track. He never plays the same thing twice, like he is just randomly hitting shit. 

Heart- Nick Lowe
I heard the Rockpile version first, like most of us. When this version appeared on "Nick The Knife," I was appalled. What did he do? I am older now and I prefer this version.

Ship Of Fools- Grateful Dead
As Troy mentioned in the chat box on Wednesday, "Nice SOTD, haven't played that one in a long time." My sentiments exactly.

Take Five- The Young Lions
There is an excellent new collection out showcasing the genius of Dennis Bovell. It's called "The Dubmaster" and it is filled with gems, including some very rare singles like this take on Dave Brubeck's classic.

Back In the Crowd- Tom Waits
As I stated in the One Sentence Review last week, "We need to start talking about 'Bad As Me' the same way we talk about 'Rain Dogs.'" I knew I liked what appears to be Tom Waits farewell kiss, but I never realized just how brilliant it was until last week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your comment about the Vibrators record got me wondering - I knew I had one of their albums. Well, sure enough, that's the one! Pulled it out - will listen to it today - thanks!

Also, great mix!

Randy

A Walk In The Woods said...

I've always loved that Nick Lowe song. Thanks for the mix!

cmealha said...

Preferring Nick's version of "Heart" to Rockpile's is blasphemy but you are forgiven due to the inclusion of Tom Waits' "Back in the Crowd". Carry on.

Anonymous said...

Hadn't listened to Bad As Me for a long while, so your spotlight on it last week caused me to pull it out for a spin. I had forgotten how well I knew many of the songs. When that album came out, I happened to be working with a guy who was a huge Tom Waits fan--so much so that he and some friends had flown to Atlanta to see Waits live when he did a mini tour (his last?) of the south. My coworker hated the album, which I couldn't quite understand. He didn't like a song on it. I wonder if he ever came around to it?

Regarding Heart, I have to give the nod to Rockpile's version. I love the energy and Billy Bremner's vocals. But I can understand where you're coming from.

Bill

Sal Nunziato said...

To cmealha & Bill.

Regarding "Heart," I love the Rockpile/Bremner version. Probably my favorite song on the Rockpile album, which is why I was "appalled" when I first heard the Nick solo version.
I guess my tossed off comments on the post don't express clearly enough that I prefer the Nick version now just because I never did. It's better than I ever thought it was.
Gotta work on my writing!