Tuesday, July 5, 2022

What's A Fernweh, Part 2

 


 

Back in 2019, I wrote about a band from Liverpool making music that sounded like some of my favorite music of all time. They were a new band channeling British folk and prog like Fairport Convention and Strawbs, and at times, even sounding a bit like Syd Barrett-era Floyd. They are The Fernweh, and they are back with "Torschlusspanik!," which literally means "gate-shut-panic." Apparently the term dates back to the Middle Ages in reference to the panic medieval peasants might have experienced as they rushed to make it back inside the city gates before they closed at nightfall.

On this record, the band have found an almost sunshine pop sensibility to add to the mix, making "Torschlusspanik!" a livelier, more accessible record than the debut. Where the first album sounded like a psychedelic version of Fairport or Strawbs, this new one sounds like a cross between Fairport and the Mamas & Papas, or The Millennium.

I loved just about every track on "Torschlusspanik!" Listen to a few tracks and maybe you'll dig them enough to explore The Fernweh further.






 


 




8 comments:

heartsofstone said...

Now I know what I am doing this am. Thanks so much. The depth of you musical knowledge is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Listened to most of it yesterday for the first time after noting it on your "Best thing I listened to yesterday" link. It will need a few more listens to fully appreciate, but it was plenty of fun first time out.

RE: today's song of the day. Heart is one of my favorite Nick Lowe tunes. Last week at the EC gig, they used the Rusty version of Nick's Surrender to the Rhythm as the stage-arrival music, opened with Heart of the City and much later played Peace, Love, and Understanding. All of which makes me more excited about Nick and Los Straitjackets coming to town later this year.

- Paul in DK

JAYESSEMM said...

Very groovy -- thanks Sal.

This record reminds me of something but I can't put my finger on it yet!

paulinca said...

Thanks, Sal. In this s***show of a week, summer and year, I really needed to start my morning like this. You've nailed all the classic bands you hear in this group's music and that's what so wonderful about this era of rock.

paulinca

Théo said...

In modern German Torschlusspanik is said in reference to a woman dropping her standards to find a man while she can still have a child. For example, if an attractive woman in her 30s is dating a much less attractive (or otherwise desirable) man than she can, her catty coworkers might say, "Hey, Torschlusspanik oder was?" (The metaphorical door is closing.)

Sal Nunziato said...

@Theo,
Thanks for that fun little bit of info.

ken49 said...

I was wondering from where I first heard of this band, either you or Shindig would have been my guess. I too like the Fairport, Strawbs, Lindisfarne connection. They do a credible cover of The Who's Sunrise on one of their Spotify singles. I will have to check this out. Also enjoying Michael Head's Dear Scott, his latest release.

Michael Giltz said...

You had me at Fairport Convention.