Friday, August 5, 2022

New OId Andy Partridge

 


I picked up a couple of bags of records last week, including a fairly recent reissue of Terry Hall's solo album "Home." It was a 2020 U.K. Record Store Day reissue and to be honest, I hadn't heard it since its initial release in 1994, when we carried the CD at the shop.

This record is terrific. It's filled with lush Brit pop, something like John Barry meets Tears For Fears. But the real surprise was finding two Andy Partridge co-writes. I must have known this at the time, but it sure seemed like a surprise when I saw the lyric sheet.

I posted one of those tracks as a Song Of The Day. Maybe you caught it earlier this week. Here they are for your listening pleasure. Both tracks sounds like pure Partridge, both lyrically and musically. I wonder if there are more, possibly another that might turn up on Andy's "Failed Songwriting" series.

"Home" is a solid record that I highly recommend. These tracks are the cherries on the cake.

 


 


4 comments:

cmealha said...

Any Andy Partridge discoveries are always welcome. Great cuts and I will check out the rest of the album

FD13NYC said...

Good stuff! I could hear Andy singing I Drew A Lemon.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Excellent! And on that note, man do I wish Andy and all other extant members of XTC would put out more music these days.

ken49 said...

Always great to hear Andy's songs you have not heard before. I dialed up Oranges and Lemons last week and the Steve Wilson mix really accentuates XTC attacking their songs. Really powerfull. And I am falling in love with the Amanda Shires album. Pretty remarkable.