Sunday, August 14, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 8/6-8/12


 

 

Superman Lover- Johnny "Guitar" Watson
Right On- Ray Barretto
However Much U Want- Mayte & Prince
Lifted- Trombone Shorty
Same Old Song- Winston Francis
Living For The City- Stevie Wonder
And So It Goes- Billy Joel

zip

Superman Lover- Johnny "Guitar" Watson
One of my favorite artists out of New Orleans is Jon Cleary. Whether he is playing solo, with his trio or with the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Cleary always brings it. But it was only about a year ago when I realized, Cleary has been doing Johnny "Guitar" Watson for the last 30 years. That's not a criticism. I just hadn't listened to enough JGW to hear the obvious influences on Cleary. Both "Ain't That A Bitch" and "A Real Mother For Ya" are JGW classics and both feel like lost Absolute Monster Gentlemen records. Cleary occasionally covers this particular track in concert.

Right On- Ray Barretto
The review is still posted on the left. If you think this music ain't your thing, and you just can't muster the patience to dial up "Barretto-Power," try this one song on for size. I bet you'll get it.

However Much U Want- Mayte & Prince
I hadn't thought about this song since the album was released in 1995 and not sure why I thought of it this week, but I dig it.

Lifted- Trombone Shorty
This album needed a few spins to finally win me over. Now it's a contender for one of the best of the year.

Same Old Song- Winston Francis
I have a buddy, a record dealer, who always looks out for me. He is my main supplier for all things reggae and before the pandemic, he would take a number of trips to Jamaica to bring back some real vinyl treasures. A few times a year, he'd prepare a "box of beaters" for me. These are basically amazing records that simply have too many things wrong with them to fetch what they are really worth--torn covers, slight dishing, light but feelable marks, etc.---but most of the time play really well. One of those "beaters" was a record called "Mr Fix It" by Winston Francis. I hadn't heard of him, but it was produced by Coxsone Dodd and was on the Coxsone label. I gave it a try and it has become a favorite. It is filled with happy melodies and infectious grooves. Think Sam Cooke at Studio One.

Living For The City- Stevie Wonder
Felt like hearing it.

And So it Goes- Billy Joel
The Billy bashing continues to takes place and the most recent one involved a record dealer friend of mine who refused to put any Billy Joel records in his boxes, even though they'd sell in a heartbeat. I said, "You don't have to listen to him, but other people want to." And then, this kid browsing through his boxes, all punked up with tats and piercings said, "Even I like 'And So it Goes.'" And so it goes.

6 comments:

pmac said...

Love when Cleary covers Super Man Lover - he also occassionally does another Watson song, Lonely Man's Prayer. That Barretto album, and this song in particular, is such a great listen. As to Shorty, I'll have to give his latest another chance. I didn't care for it when it was first released (I listened to it approx 3 x). Shorty seems to be falling in line with a history of NO musicians who are phenomenal live, but who's records fall somewhat short (but, I find Jon Cleary's lps to be a happy exception to this rule).

Sal Nunziato said...

pmac,
My original commentary about the Shorty record was very similar to your comment.
I never really enjoy any New Orleans record that seems to cater to the lowest common denominator. Songs about gumbo, Bourbon Street, parades, Mardi Gras, etc. There are classics and there are the rest. Shorty's records feel thrown together to appease the masses, but this one, as I said, grew on me.

A Walk In The Woods said...

That's a great Billy Joel anecdote.

So is there a current Billy bashing going on? I hadn't heard. To me, he's really found a niche as a middle man everybody loves (e'en Olivia Rodrigo, I guess) but doesn't admit it. I'm a huge fan of his music since childhood, despite all the flaws I can see in it now as a "more discerning music listener" or something. Always will be a fan.

dogbreath said...

I don't know about anything else but I remember a record fair in a church hall about 100 years ago where I picked up a promo copy of the Johnny "Guitar" Watson yellow label single in a yellow paper sleeve. Purely based on the song's title as I'd never heard of the guy, but the track was a right little belter especially the guitar playing (who'd have guessed that from his name?). Anyhow, cool vibe to this week's mix for which many thanks. Cheers!

cmealha said...

I don't understand the Billy Joel bashing. "And So It Goes" is one beautiful tune.

Michael Giltz said...

And So It Goes is a gem. I've always been puzzled as to why Billy Joel's catalog is not covered more often.