Sunday, September 18, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 9/10-9/16

 


 

Fat Mama Kick- The Walker Brothers
Only One Winner- Nazz
Be My Guest- Fats Domino
Skyway- The Replacements
Los Ageless- St. Vincent
Key To My Heart- Tom Jones
Searching With My Good Eye Closed- Soundgarden

zip

Fat Mama Kick- The Walker Brothers
David Bowie covered the title track of The Walker Brothers "Nite Flights" album, but after listening to that album last week, I realized Bowie borrowed the vibe of the entire record. This track sounds more like Bowie than a lot of Bowie stuff.

Only One Winner- Nazz
Picked up a copy of "Nazz III" at a record show last week and was reminded of the alternate version of this track with Todd Rundgren on lead vocal. This is it.

Be My Guest- Fats Domino
I am about 100 pages into Chris Blackwell's memoir "The Islander," and assuming it doesn't take some weird turn, it is already one of the best of its kind. No spoilers in case you have an interest. I'll just offer this, Blackwell's cites this Fats Domino track as the song that made Jamaicans go wild and create the first ska records. It took Blackwell's book for me to hear that after listening to "Be My Guest" all these years.

Skyway- The Replacements
An iPod shuffle treat from last week, this track made me think of the older post about artists and whether we'd like to hear new music. It's been awhile since we heard from Mr. Westerberg, but he definitely did not go out on a high note.

Los Ageless- St. Vincent
My favorite lyric of the week:
"How can anybody have you?How can anybody have you and lose you?How can anybody have you and lose youAnd not lose their minds?
I guess that's just me, honey, I guess that's how I'm builtI try to write you a love song but it comes out a lament"

Key To My Heart- Tom Jones
I posted about "A-Tom-Ic Jones" on Instagram a while ago and how I thought it was a really solid album from top to bottom. Listened to it again recently and I still feel that way. This track is from that record.

Searching With My Good Eye Closed- Soundgarden
We'll close with the band that kickstarted my story on Friday. Chris Cornell, what a voice!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not one to doubt Blackwell, but I've always heard ska roots in Lieber & Stoller's 'Kansas City', the version by Wilbert Harrison which came out the same year as Fats' song (but maybe influenced by 'Be My Guest'?). But 'KC' had been around for a good half-decade, with Little Willie Littlefield recording it in 1952.
However it shook out, I'm glad it did.
C in California
PS I miss Paul Westerberg at his finest, too. The tension that guy must've felt for years between proving his greatness and pretending he didn't give a shit must've been unbearable.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for this mix! And for the endorsement of Chris Blackwell's memoir... I never would have gotten it otherwise, but now I gotta check it out.

Anonymous said...

I need to listen to more Fats Domino - I've pretty much just heard the hits.

I never understood why Todd didn't sing all of the Nazz vocals??? The other guy sucks.

Great mix, thanks!

Randy

pmac said...

One of my favorite cuts by Fats. I still also constantly play "It Keeps Rainin'" by him. Those two songs def have a calypso feel to them. The version of Kepps Rainin tha Robert Plant and Lil Band O Gold cut for the Fats Tribute album, "Goin' Home" really brings out the calypso feel (a No rnb, swamp pop, calypso mash-up!).
Link to the Plant version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MAg-PlgybE

dogbreath said...

Don't know why I didn't play more Soundgarden when I was listening to Audioslave and Temple of the Dog as well as Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam & their ilk. Anyway, thanks to your fine periodical I am correcting that outrageous oversight. Thanks for this SOTW mix, the best one since last week's. Cheers!

Hugh Candyside said...

Ben Harper covers "Be My Guest" with The Skatalites on another Fats tribute album, just to drive the point home.