Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Dishonest & Unjust: A Stress-Relieving Rant For The Good Of My Mental Health

 


 

As personal record sales continue to plummet, I've taken to removing some choice LPs from my personal collection and putting them up for grabs. I don't like not being busy. It's not only about making money and paying bills. It's about being able to buy more records. I really and truly love the action, both incoming and outgoing.

About a week before vacation, I sold a favorite for about 1/2 of what it usually sells for. The initial shock and sadness quickly dissipated when I realized, it's only plastic and my reissue sounded just as good as my original. Plus, I had some pocket money for the trip. 

I shipped the record out priority and that was that...until the Sunday before the Tuesday I left town.

I received a message from the buyer.

"I'm going to have to return this one for a refund unfortunately. There is quite a bit of groove damage but the main issues are audible scratches causing repeating ticks throughout A3. As A3 ends the 1 repeating tick actually gets joined by another. At this point I stopped listening so there may be other issues."

This just wasn't true. I know this record inside and out. But also, I have a reputation as a seller that is impeccable. The condition was described in detail and it was accurate. I took a breath and responded.

"This record was play-tested and I don't recall any of what you're saying. This was graded in detail. 3500 transactions without a single complaint. But I guess there is always one.
I will be on vacation, as some of my listings state. I return on 10/9.
Send it back and if it arrives in the condition it left, I will issue a full refund.
Sorry you are disappointed.
So am I."

His reply:

"That was an extremely odd & defensive response. I'll open a PayPal case for my own protection since you are suggesting I may not get my refund."

Even though I said I'd issue a refund, he got all twitchy with the phrase "if it arrives in the condition it left," which is standard. Still, he opened a case.

I replied again:

"Come on, seriously?
Yeah, defensive, sure. I've got 3500 transactions with a perfect record.You have 300 transactions with three negatives---all about conditon. It's not odd. It's math. I don't have a perfect record because I "suggest" refunding customers. I don't know you. The record was graded accurately. Should I just agree to send you money? Be nothing except reasonable. By the way, I sent that record Priority at my cost. That may not mean anything to you, but it is a gesture in good faith. I wanted the record to get to you safely and quickly. I'm just protecting my reputation.
Thanks."

He replied with a tracking number for the return and a notice of a PayPal case, which means the money was removed from my account. Put on hold. There goes the vacation pocket money. 

When I returned, the record was waiting for me. There was a circular scratch that was not present when it was sent to the buyer. This scratch caused the audible clicking. As a long time seller, what would it benefit me to ignore a detail like a visible scratch on an expensive record? It wouldn't. I have plenty of items in worse shape that are listed that way, right down to specific stretches of music with creatively described issues with sound. Why the hell would I lie about this record? I wouldn't. I didn't.

To recap:

My $600 gem sold for $300 in excellent shape, was returned damaged, and now I have to plead my case to PayPal.

I did.

"Buyer complained about playback issues of which there weren't any when the item was sent out. He even provided a quick video as evidence, which also failed to show any issues in the brief seconds he videotaped. Item was returned with a scratch that was not there when it was sold. I don't believe the same item was returned to me, but more likely since the record is rare, that he damaged it himself and is placing the blame on me. I have 3500 transactions with a perfect record. The condition of my records is always mentioned in my positive feedback. This buyer has 300 transactions with three negatives, all of which state the same thing- complaints and nitpicking about condition, which sellers all dispute. As a long time seller with an impeccable reputation, I believe I should have some protection against buyers with repeat problems. My money has been put on hold and now I have a messed up record, as well. This doesn't seem right. I should not have to lose money, as well as now having a damaged record. My reputation as a buyer should be evidence enough. Thank you."


 

PayPal says it could take up to 5 days to resolve the case. I felt good about it.

It took PayPal 6 hours to decide against me.

They issued the refund to the lying, dishonest scammer. And, to add insult to injury, charged me a $15 dispute fee.

On the bright side, I have my prized vinyl back. Too bad it now plays with an audible tic.

So much for PayPal Seller Protection. They can kiss my ass.

As for the buyer, well karma's a bitch buddy. I'm sorry I won't be there to see it.

 

Thanks for your indulgence. 

 

17 comments:

Jobe said...

Jeez maybe you should post his user name so that it doesn't happen to other sellers. What a scum

JAYESSEMM said...

Hay Sal ... Always remember there are more horses asses in this world than there are horses!

Sorry for your troubles.

cmealha said...

Deep breaths.

heartsofstone said...

Sorry that you have to deal with such bullshit. This is really indicative of a bigger problem in the world. People mot wanting to take responsibility for their actions.

M_Sharp said...

That really sucks! About ten years ago, I used PayPal and bought a Europe-only live CD from a singer's site for about $20. It never arrived. I sent three emails, one a week, no response. He wasn't on tour. I contacted PayPal, their response was that I had to work it out with the seller. I can't do that when he doesn't return my emails, I replied. No response.

Christine said...

This is awful. I am so sorry, and so angry for you. This person is a miserable, unhappy, scamming piece of s**t. You are not. Just remember that.

Joe said...

Just terrible BS you have to deal with. From your description, it sounds like he had 300 buys on discogs, not a newbie. Other than accidentally damaging the record himself, the only other possibility that I could think of, is that he was going to re-sell the LP but that fell through. I'm thinking too much here, he just F***ed up the record and is not interested in taking responsibility.

buzzbabyjesus said...

"This is why we can't have nice things" -My stock response to assholery.

buzzbabyjesus said...

It sounds like he switched albums with you to have a better copy. And that he's pulled this scam before.

hpunch said...

Your business tales are fascinating, and nauseating. Whats his address? Let's go visit him

Michael Giltz said...

What a bastard.

softshoebanana said...

He sounds like a complete piece of shit....fuck him Sal. He probably knows (deep inside) that he's a fuckin' wanker. Don't let it spoil your holiday.

kevin m said...

I'm inclined to agree with BBJ on this one. What a POS.

Mr Modernist said...

Aw, geez; I hope one arsehole doesn't ruin the good experiences you've had with your other 3,499 happy customers. I wish you a better day up ahead!

Crab Devil said...

The "switching albums" thesis advanced by buzzbabyjesus seems plausible to me, and in any case Sal's experience of getting talked down to a lower price by a sociopath -- or, if not by a sociopath, then at least by an asshole -- is plenty familar.

Decades ago, me and a friend had a side gig selling records at swapmeets and the like. There was one customer we dreaded having to deal with. He was a well known expert in a certain musical genre -- not just a collector but the author of books and liner notes and whatnot. The drill was that he'd ostentatiously pick out a slew of albums from the various crates, as if to psych us up for a ginormous sale. At the same time, though, he'd make it clear that the items were becoming well and truly de-alphabetized. He'd offer us a third of what the vinyl was worth, and we would demur, and then he'd walk away, leaving us not only with the task of re-filing our stuff but also (and this, of course, was the point) with the sense that, next time around, we should probably just capitulate.

That was in the 1980s. The guy is still around, still an authority in his field, and still an asshole.

dogbreath said...

Another interesting story for us but a royal pain in the arse for you. A trader I know, not in your line of commerce, says that business would be great and a lot of pleasure if it wasn't for the customers. He's being a tad disingenuous but I know what he means. Keep the cautionary tales coming - stress food for you but fun for us. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, this guy will end up in purgatory sitting next to Alex Jones.

Randy