Sunday, November 20, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 11/12-11/18


 

Mrs. Robinson- Booker T. & The MGs
Pali Gap- Jimi Hendrix
Strange Groove- World Party
I Can't Help You Now- Bonnie Raitt
I Found A Love- Phil Seymour
Mad Mad Judy- Buzzcocks
I Laugh In Your Face- Bee Gees

zip

Mrs. Robinson- Booker T. & The MGs
That chord in the second verse kills me everytime. And this groove ain't so bad either.

Pali Gap- Jimi Hendrix
I heard from an old friend this week, someone I hadn't spoken to since the early 90's. The first thing I asked him was, "Is 'Pali Gap' still your favorite Jimi song?" He laughed and said, "IT IS!"

Strange Groove- World Party
"Egyptology," the last of the World Party vinyl reissues came out last week. Really great job on the mastering, but they skimped on the bonus tracks, offering up just 5 live tracks, all of which are "Egyptology" tracks. Still it was nice to revisit this album.

I Can't Help You Now- Bonnie Raitt
Speaking of vinyl reissues, it's hard to believe that Bonnie's run on Capitol, arguably her most successful, is pretty much non-existent. This is from "Silver Lining," one of my two faves from Miss Raitt. The other being "Souls Alike," which came a few years later.

I Found A Love- Phil Seymour
Picked up a copy of this Phil Seymour solo album at last weekend's record show. I remember buying it 40 years ago on the strength of the first single, "Precious To Me," but the whole record is really worth spinning.

Mad Mad Judy- Buzzcocks
This one is relentless in all the best ways.

I Laugh In Your Face- Bee Gees
Friend and long time BW supporter Jeff In Denton, TX mentioned listening to "Odessa" and being blown away by the deluxe edition. Coincidentally, I found a nice clean copy at last weekend's record show, with barely a hint of lint on the velvet cover. "Odessa" can go on a bit, but what is good is really good, including this track, which is as beautiful as a Gibb Brothers ballad gets.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Phil Seymour album is a winner. Had the good fortune of catching him at the Old Waldorf in support of the album. And Pali Gap is a winner, too.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

I've always loved the Seymour album as well. Your SOTW has spurred me to pull it out as well as a Buzzcocks record as well.

The wife is working today so I get to crank the stereo!!

Going to check out Pali Gap - not familiar with it.

Great list, thanks!

Randy

Michael Giltz said...

Re: Jimi Hendrix. That says everything in a good way about you AND your friend.

Noel M said...

Love early Bee Gees. Fun to hear this one.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Had this playlist on repeat for a bit Sunday morning and enjoyed it more with each play. Several of the tracks I’d never heard. Pali Gap is awesome!
Eric

Radio Tower Records, Berlin said...

Nice; Pali Gap is the ring tone on my phone and I always let the phone ring just a bit longer than absolutely necessary.

drstu said...

I remember buying this record in college likely before I ever heard it due to the suede cover( is that what it was?) Marley Purt Drive was always one of my faves. Could never stop singing that one after a listen.

dogbreath said...

Always a pleasure to dive into your SOTW zips and loving finding a Buzzcocks track in there. Greta stuff. Many thanks for zipping it up. Cheers!

Noel M said...

Cool!