Friday, January 27, 2023

Robert Palmer Deep Cuts: THE WEEKEND MIX

 


There is a review in the new Mojo about the just released 9 CD box of Robert Palmer's Island Years. It contains all of the albums, as well as bonus tracks, newly remastered. What stood out in the review, and the inspiration for this weekend mix, was the writer explaining that mixed tapes were Palmer's preferred way of listening to music, and that often, his own records played that way, jumping genres and styles from song to song. This mix does the same, with a funky cover of an Earl King classic sitting comfortably with a Gary Numan cover and upbeat Caribbean rhythms mingling with the avant-garde.

I have been a fan since day one, and though he will forever be remembered for those MTV videos, Robert Palmer's records prior to his signing with EMI and finally hitting the big time, are consistently entertaining and often brilliant.

So, here are a dozen mostly deep cuts that I hope you enjoy as much as I do. The finale, an epic monster groove featuring Bernard Purdie, Gordon Edwards, Richard Tee, Steve Winwood, Cornell Dupree and Mel Collins is truly badass.

TRACKLIST

Deadline
Trick Bag
Best Of Both Worlds
Remember To Remember
I Dream Of Wires
Woke Up Laughing
Give Me An Inch
Want You More
You Overwhelm Me
Fine Time
What's It Take
Through It All There's You

zip

17 comments:

Troy said...

Looks like a great mix! Thanks, Sal! Have a great weekend!

JAYESSEMM said...

"Consistently entertaining and often brilliant."

I'll tell my kids to put this line on my tombstone!


Very nice collection Sal -- thanks!

cmealha said...

I have been a fan since I walked into a record store on 6th Ave and they were playing "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley". He was unique. His songs always had that thing that drew you in right away. He experimented with sounds and arrangements in a way that you knew it was him as soon as you heard it. One of the most underrated artists even though he did achieve great success during the "Addicted to Love"/Power Station era of his career. His earlier stuff is what drew me in. You've captured a nice slice of that pie to share with everyone.

steve simels said...

Palmer’s last band before he went solo — Dada, with Elkie Brooks — played my old school in 1970. The were terrific, and very nice people.Get me drunk sometime and I’ll tell you my Robert Palmer story.😀

daudder said...

definition of an underrated but wildly successful singer.

sixtyacres said...


A very fine mix there!

I already have pretty much everything available by Robert Palmer...and yet I've still ordered the box set! Those Island albums are superb.

Everyone should hear this - A fantastic cover of My Baby's In Love With Another Guy from The Color Of Money soundtrack -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOqnOZqJas&ab_channel=RobertPalmer-Topic

ken49 said...

There are very few artists who hit the big big time because of the MTV era but also have an excellent and extended catalog. Very anxious to hear this. Probably right up there with your World Party mix.

kodak ghost said...

Nice stories of Palmer in Chris Blackwells autobiography. Loved his music from waaay back... saw Vinegar Joe a few times! Thanks for the mix.

Noel M said...

Nice! Man, Robert Palmer concerts - before The MTV Girls Period at least - were the wildest grab-bag of setlists I've ever seen. It was so fun to truly see someone ignore the lines.

Anonymous said...

After high school, one of my graduating buddies got into more diverse music than the rest of us (Zep, Aerosmith, UFO, etc.), and one of the artists he was listening to was RP. Most of our gang, including me, had little interest in his stuff but as the years progressed I gradually warmed up to him and now am a huge fan.

Thank you, Preston.

Randy

Michael Giltz said...

I have never paid attention to RP. Time to change that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal.

How to download?

My link comes out as http://s141.servername.online/~burnw0/sotw2302.zip

Best Regards, Phil

Sal Nunziato said...

Hi Phil,
I've checked the link and it is working fine. Even when I cut and paste your link, the download comes up. Not sure what is happening on your end.

Anonymous said...

Besting Todd Rundgren on a Rundgren classic no less….now that’s greatness right there….miss him.
AL

Anonymous said...

He had a reggaeton pedigree, a new wave sensibility, could rock hard as hell or balladeer as quiet as rain, and always chose the right backing…sublime how we’ve lost so many bright lights lately who roughly fit that same description…what is going on??😞so young, soooo young.
AL

Mr. Baez said...

This looks like a good listen. Thank you, Sal.

art58koen said...

Thank you. Sad though that his Lee Perry sessions still haven't been released...