Sunday, January 22, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 1/14-1/20


 

I Want To Know- Living Colour
Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale- Love
Watching Xanadu- Mull Historical Society
The End Of the Affair- Mari Wilson
Electioneering- Radiohead
Close Your Eyes- Dot Allison
Calico Country- Steve Earle & The Dukes (And Duchesses)

zip

I Want To Know- Living Colour
Living Colour are back in the studio, which makes me very happy. Their last record "Shade" was the best since their debut, "Vivid." This is from that debut. The solo and jam at the end never fails to excite.

Maybe The People Would Be The Times Or Between Clark And Hilldale- Love
Often referred to as simply "Maybe The People..." or "Between Clark & Hilldale...," I don't care what you call it, it's still my favorite track from the legendary "Forever Changes" album.

Watching Xanadu- Mull Historical Society
I revisited Mull Historical Society this week and was thrilled with all I listened to, especially this track which has more than a little resemblance to the Beach Boys' "Darlin'."

The End Of The Affair- Mari Wilson
There is a new 3 CD Mari Wilson anthology out. Not sure you need more than her debut, which is solid from top to bottom. This track is sublime. My old band Pep In The Cat tried this one for about a minute back in '84, but it didn't click. Stick with Mari.

Electioneering- Radiohead
Listening to "OK Computer" this week, two things came to mind. The first is, what was with all the Pink Floyd comparisons upon its release? What am I missing? The second, this track is much better than I remember it.

Close Your Eyes- Dot Allison

Dot Allison has collaborated with many, including Scott Walker, Paul Weller, and Massive Attack. I hadn't thought about this track since it was released in 1999, and it still sounds great.

Calico Country- Steve Earle & The Dukes (And Duchesses)
I believe "The Low Highway" is Steve Earle's greatest achievement. I say it every time I play it. Musically diverse, lyrically powerful, and it even rocks occasionally.

7 comments:

Keith35 said...

I've compared OK Computer with DSOTM. Not because it sounds like it; but because of its massive impact, sales and influence. It's also a great album that still stands up 26 years later. After Kid A, Radiohead kind of went downhill. Decent albums, but nothing close to The Bends, OK and Kid A

Anonymous said...

I was going to talk to you about “Watching Xanadu” and “Darlin’”. Glad you heard it too. I’ve been on a Mill Historical Society tear.

Noel M said...

I was lucky to see Living Colour on that first tour, at a small club near UGA in Athens, Georgia where I was at school - Friday, October 21, 1988. Still stands as one of my top 10 concert memories ever.

And I have that debut of course, but didn't recall this song I Want To Know - thanks for dialing me back into that.

cmealha said...

Re: "End of the Affair"
I do remember trying this tune but in the end, we couldn't do it justice. A great tune from the incomparable Ms. Wilson.

heartsofstone said...

What I love about your weekend mixes is that frequently I will pull out a disc I haven't played in a long time. This week it is Steve Earle. You are spot on, as usual.

Honest Ed said...

Mari Wilson is married to my old boss and divides her time between LA and London, and she still performs regularly. Indeed, she's playing a couple of shows in London next month.

Honest Ed said...

Oh, and agreed about the Steve Earle album. It might be the last of his albums I really loved.