Friday, February 17, 2023

BW's 150: 118-132

 


THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES....

 

Every one of these songs means something to me. Whether it's a lyric, a harmony, a chord change or a memory attached to it, these 15 songs all deserve to be in my Top 100 for one reason or another. Yet as wonderful as I think they are, there are still others I love more. 

This list is flawed. The songs are just about perfect. But as expected, and as predicted by some of you, this task is daunting and will no doubt haunt me. What have I missed? Can I really include (insert song title) and not (insert song title)? Nevertheless, after considerable thought, and relentless editing, these songs make the cut.

That said, here is the continuation of the bottom 150, sequenced in optimum playing order, not by rank.


Suite: Judy Blue Eyes- Crosby, Stills & Nash
I knew all the words and I could sing any one of the three vocal parts before I knew the actual name of the song. It's hard to pick a favorite section, as I find all of them perfect. 

More Today Than Yesterday- Spiral Staircase
AM radio, summer time bliss. It's one of my mother's favorite songs of all time, and I totally get why. When I finally bought a real stereo and played this 45 through real speakers, it became even better. Listen to that extra push on the bass drum! Now that's all I hear. Perfect pop.

On The Wings Of A Nightingale- The Everly Brothers
Phil & Don's comeback written by Paul McCartney. What could go wrong? Absolutely nothing. Again, the harmonies are the winners. Phil reaching for the high note on the last refrain is a nice touch, too. I never tire of this. It's gorgeous.

Care Of Cell 44- The Zombies
I had never heard "Odessey & Oracle" before it's intital CD release in the late 80's. Hard to believe? It's true. That it is now one of my three favorite records of all time should give you an idea of just how blown away I was on first listen. I couldn't get past the opening track. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I listened to "Care of Cell 44" five times before I heard the rest of the album. This track is a masterwork of pop music.

Elvis Presley Blues- Gillian Welch
This song inadvertantly became a New Orleans song for me. For about five years, 2000-2004, I had shared an apartment on St. Philip and Royal in the FQ. We had stayed there three times the first year and so the owner just gave us a key and it was ours whenever we needed it, any time but during Mardi Gras. I can't explain how or why, but whenever I arrived, I'd unpack, set up the iPod and Bose speaker and hit shuffle, and this track miraculously played first, three visits in a row. I swear on a stack of Rundgren records. That apartment is no longer available, as it became a yearly lease after Katrina, so I still play this first when I arrive at our new regular spot on Ursuline. Does that story make this a great song? No. It was a brilliant song before that. That story makes it better...for me. And...lyrics like these:

I was thinking that night about ElvisDay that he diedDay that he diedI was thinking that night about ElvisDay that he diedDay that he diedHe was all alone in the long declineThinking how happy John Henry wasThat he fell down dyingWhen he shook it and it rang like silverHe shook it and it shined like goldHe shook it and he beat that steam drill babyWell a bless my soulWell a bless my soulHe shook it and he beat that steam drill babyWell bless my soul what's wrong with me

New Lace Sleeves- Elvis Costello
How could I pick just one? How could I not pick 50? Well, that's what makes this project so difficult, but I have to include this track because I think it is so very Elvis Costello. A beautiful vocal and a genius arrangement.

Percy's Song- Fairport Convention
The second epic of the mix, did I mention I love harmonies? I never cared too much for Dylan's original version. It's fine. But this is transcendant. If it was 20 minutes longer, it wouldn't be long enough. I could listen to those rounds of harmonies forever.

Station To Station- David Bowie
The third epic of the mix, nothing before or after this song sounds like this song. This was right after "Young Americans," which I've come around to (a bit, not much), but hated when it was released. "Station To Station" was a new monster, fresh and exciting, with two equally brilliant sections. Easily one of my three all time Bowie faves.

Hard Times - Ray Charles
My single favorite performance from Brother Ray. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

My Man - Billie Holiday
The first time I heard this song was seeing Barbra Streisand's showstopping performance in "Funny Girl." It killed me then. But Billie Holiday's version gets to me faster. It's from Billie's Verve years and you can hear the struggle.

This Will Be Our Year- The Zombies
Two from the same band and from the same album, no less. Well, yeah. I love the sentiment and I love hearing this the first week of January when there is still hope. By February, when all has already gone to the shitter, this still sounds pretty damn great.

Dawn (Go Away)- The Four Seasons
There are two versions of this killer single from Frankie and the Jersey Boys, one with the drum intro and this with the opening verse, "Pretty as a mid-summer's moon, they called her Dawn!" Once again, a pop masterpiece.

Lonely Boy- Andrew Gold
That iconic piano intro, the sleigh bells on the chorus, the strings on the coda. 

Fairytale Of New York- The Pogues w/ Kirsty Maccoll
Hard to believe that a song with the lyric, "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot, happy Christmas your arse, I pray God it's our last" could become one of the greatest Christmas songs of all time, but I guess that is why it is so brilliant. It runs the gamut of holiday emotions, not to mention telling a story worthy of a two hour film in three minutes, and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes, any time of year. Genius.

Soliloquy- Frank Sinatra
The last epic of the mix is also the perfect finale. This song and I have a lot of history. I would hear it played in the house growing up so often, I knew the entire piece before I was ten. Years later, in the 1986, mostly terrible film "Heartburn," Jack Nicholson sings this when he finds out he is going to be a father. It's the only truly funny bit in the film, and it hit home, not because I was an expectant father, but just because I felt Jack's enjoyment while he was singing it. "Soliloquy" is not for everyone, but it's legendary for a reason.

zip

14 comments:

Shriner said...

Huh. Not necessarily the Elvis Costello song I would have thought would have landed on this list (unless there are more coming later?)

steve simels said...

Great list. And the Fairport is transplendent.
.

cmealha said...

A nice mix of great tunes and, for me, some new ones. I'm especially happy with the inclusion of "New Lace Sleeves" which is one of my favorite Elvis cuts. I'm still amazed that you've taken on such a daunting task. Hope you're having fun.

Anonymous said...

This is great stuff! Validating my love of some tunes, introducing me to others.

BW, I love you more today than yesterday.

That’s forever, yes and for always

And you look so pretty in your new lace sleeves.


I’ll stop now (you’re welcome) but thanks as always for helping me remember why I love music so much.

paulinca said...

Sal, similar experience with the Zombies though MUCH later for me. It was 2016 and O+O stopped me in my tracks. "Care" and "Hung Up On a Dream" just floored me. Catching their 50th anniversary tour of the record was absolutely incredible.

paulinca

Noel M said...

Well damn, what you got in the tank after THIS batch?? Not sure you can top these!

Sixtyacres said...

What a list! And as many times as I've heard Spiral Staircase over the last 54 years - I never knew that sound was the bass drum/extra push- I thought it was some kind of fault on the recording - doh! Takes me back every time. Just a great selection/mix here. And Station to Station and Young Americans both in my top 5 Bowie albums (no way can I get it down to 3).








heartsofstone said...

What I love about your list most is the breadth of the selections. Spiral Staircase to Bowie - amazing. I always loved Roy Bittan's playing on Station to Station. Everyone should be required to listen to O&O. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

My head's going to explode with anticipation by the time you get to your Top 20!

Great way to start my weekend - Thanks!!

Randy

Michael Giltz said...

So much to love here. The Everly Brothers single courtesy Paul McCartney really lifts my spirits every single time. It's joyous. Plus Fairport! And Bowie! (I loved the song "Young Americans" the first second I heard it. Are we chalk and cheese?) I love Ray Charles and that ain't the first song that comes to mind...which just shows you how much great music he made. The Billie Holiday also slays. Fairytale Of New York is indeed a great Christmas song because it's what Christmas can REALLY be like -- fighting and bitching and problems and at the end Ralph Kramden gives Alice a big kiss and says "Baby you're the greatest" but not with the Pogues, the couple stays apart at the end because, again, it's what Christmas is REALLY like.

Some day I will hear some music sitting or standing next to you in New Orleans.

Shriner said...

I got motivated over the weekend to trying to play along and my first pass has 800 songs in it (and I am trying to follow your rules with no Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan or The Who -- and in my case no XTC, Alice Cooper, KISS or Robyn Hitchcock.)

800 songs! And you started with 227? I will be more cut-throat on a second pass after I let this pile sit for a week or so.

Sheesh...

Sal Nunziato said...

Shriner,
I did not say no Beatles, Who, Beach Boys, etc. That was only one of the possible suggestions for the list. When all is said and done, there might be seven Who songs on my list. So, no restrictions. Gotta be your faves, even if they are all from "Get The Knack."

Shriner said...

Oh man, that will add another 100+ to my list then. I thought this would be easier if I limited some specific artists. Back to the drawing board...

Shriner said...

Ugh -- I got it down to 73 *absolutely must have without question* -- but I have 158 left (with brutal cuts) to try to round this out to 100 (or maybe I'll punt to 150 like you did...)

And it kills me to say I have 230 songs I like more than I like any individual song off "Get The Knack" too.. Who would have guessed? :-)