Sunday, February 19, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 2/11-2/17

 


 


The Scum Lives On- Demolition 23
Where Have You Been- Arthur Alexander
Daddy Rollin' Stone- Johnny Thunders w/Phil Lynott & Steve Marriott
Oh, Candy- Cheap Trick
Speak Now, Or Forever Hold Your Peace- Terry Reid
She's Pulling Out The Pin- Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Just Walkin' In The Rain- The Prisonaires

 

 

 

The Scum Lives On- Demolition 23
Whether with Hanoi Rocks or solo, Michael Monroe has been making consistently solid records for over 40 years, but 1994's "Demolition 23" is his finest hour. Produced and co-written with Steven Van Zandt, this is 38 minutes of hook-filled rock and roll that never lets you forget Monroe is a punk at heart. It recently got a first time vinyl release on Little Steven's Wicked Cool label and I highly recommend the whole damn thing.

Where Have You Been- Arthur Alexander
I had been listening to Arthur Alexander's excellent compilation "A Shot Of Rhythm & Soul" and this one took me by surprise.

Daddy Rollin' Stone- Johnny Thunders w/Phil Lynott & Steve Marriott
Speaking of punks, Thunders' "So Alone" ranks very high on my list of all time great punk records, and this cover is about as grimy as it gets. You can hear the drugs in every verse.

Oh, Candy- Cheap Trick

Still my favorite Cheap Trick album and here is one of the reasons why.

Speak Now, Or Forever Hold Your Peace- Terry Reid

First time I heard this song was on the aforementioned Cheap Trick album. It tooks years before I could track down Terry Reid's original.

She's Pulling Out The Pin- Elvis Costello & The Imposters

Elvis is currently in the middle of his 10 Night, $765 a ticket run at NYC's Gramercy Theatre. I have a week's worth of posts about that scam, but I am trying to get over it. For now, here's one of many gems found on the very underrated "Delivery Man" album.

Just Walkin' In The Rain- The Prisonaires
And we take it home with this beauty.

zip


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard a Hanoi Rocks song in my life, and didn't know who Michael Monroe was/is until I read your post this morning, but with the Van Zandt stamp, I YT'd a couple of songs, and Wow!!, what a great sound.

I've had that Terry Reid track for decades, and it's been that long since I've heard it - Wow!!, as well.

Great mix, thanks!

Randy

dogbreath said...

Thanks as always for doing your zip up. Some long forgotten (by me) stuff in there, the Johnny Thunders and Cheap Trick tunes. There are some of us (well, one anyway) who used to place that Trick track next to the Cars' Candy-O on a mix tape and not just for the amusement of the back to back titles. Such heady days! Cheers!