Sunday, May 28, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 5/20-5/26

 


Nowhere Is My Home- The Replacements
Gasoline Alley- Rod Stewart
I Need So You- Tommy McLain
You Can't Be Too Strong- Graham Parker
All My Life- Nilsson
I Idolize You- Ike & Tina Turner
Out in The Street- Galactic w/Cyril Neville

Nowhere Is My Home- The Replacements
In a conversation with a friend who loves the 'Mats as much as I do, I tossed off a casual, "The three best Replacements albums are the first Bash & Pop, Westerberg's '14 Songs' and 'Boink.'" I expected an explosion but instead got "I can see that." I do love "Boink" partly because of this gem.

Gasoline Alley- Rod Stewart
I listened to a personal Rod playlist I put together after reading about the Jeff Beck tribute at the Royal Albert Hall. Those Mercury records are something else.

I Need So Bad-Tommy McLain
I found an oldie but goodie from the great Tommy McLain.

You Can't Be Too Strong- Graham Parker
A GP masterwork.

All My Life- Nilsson
I sent an note to myself reminding me to write something nice about the "Pussy Cats" album. I'll do it here. This album wasn't very well received, but I think it has aged nicely. I think it plays like Nilsson's version of Lennon's "Rock & Roll" only it sounds better and has a few originals, some of which are Nilsson classics. Give it another go.

I Idolize You- Ike & Tina Turner
For Tina.

Out In the Street- Galactic w/Cyril Neville
Open your windows, let in some sun, and play this one LOUD!

zip

11 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

What a good mix -- thanks Sal!

pmac said...

Mercury Rod Stewart withstands the test of time. lso, Ivan Neville is also on that killer Galactic track. Nice comp!

neal t said...

The Fire this Time Cyril's last? album one of the best NOLA releases this century

cmealha said...

Those Rod Stewart albums are classics.

dogbreath said...

Nice one, Mr N, thanks for up zipping. Love the Graham Parker track, although I was giving "The Pink Parker" live disc a spin just last week. And agreed that those early Rod Stewart albums are right little belters. Cheers!

efredd said...

Wonderful tracks, but special love for "Gasoline Alley"....less cowbell, more mandolin!!!

Noel M said...

Oh man do I love Gasoline Alley. And you're right, those Mercury Rod records can stand up with anybody's from that era.

Mr. Baez said...

Those Mercury Rod Stewart albums are truly wonderful. I've always dug "Pussycats", especially the cover of ”Subterranean Homesick Blues”; found it very pre-punk and often wondered if Joni Mitchell heard it when she was laying down the drums to "The Jungle Line" off of "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" which came out a year later in 1975.

Anonymous said...

Prime Graham Parker is hard to beat, and in fact one of my all-time fave live albums is his Live! Alone In America.
C in California

Michael Giltz said...

Surely the five (esp the three -- gasoline alley, every picture tells a story and never a dull moment) are the peak of solo rod.

big bad wolf said...

I can almost see it. i think Tim is better than any of them.