Monday, June 5, 2023

Folkocracy


 

Rufus Wainwright's new record, "Folkocracy" is a collection of traditional songs sung with a bevy of special guests, some expected and a few not so much. As a fan, some of this record looked interesting on paper. I know many have an issue with Wainwright's voice. I hear what the critics hear, but I don't mind it. I think it's huge and emotive, and best of all, especially for the non-fans, it blends beautifully with others, which is why I think these duets may work for everyone.

I said "some of this record looked interesting." Songs like Neil Young's "Harvest" sung with Chris Stills, The Mamas & The Papas' "Twelve Thirty" sung with Susanna Hoffs and Sheryl Crow, and "Black Gold" with Van Dyke Parks sparked real interest. But I have never been a fan of John Legend. Brandi Carlisle just doesn't do it for me. David Byrne can very easily get under my skin. And what the hell is Chaka Khan doing here?

Well guess what? The biggest and best surprises are the tracks that I was sure wouldn't be. "Heading For Home" with Legend and "Cotton Eyed Joe" with Chaka are stunning. Byrne and Wainwright sound as if they were singing together their entire lives. And as expected, the Mamas and Papas cover is as perfect as you want it to be.

What's wrong with this record? The same thing that is wrong with most records these days. It's 20 minutes too long. The setlist being what it is doesn't allow for peaks and valleys. There are no rockers. Nothing to dance to. These are folk songs, and so the peaks and valleys come not in the songs themselves, but in the arrangements, which are either understated or sweeping, causing a bit of sameness as we approach the 45 minute mark. It's like listening to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" 15 different ways. I was drained, in a good way, by song six. I needed to collect myself and go back in after a cold glass of water and a few deep breaths.

If "Folkocracy" was a ten track, single LP, priced at $25 instead of $40, I'd have nothing but praise for it. Rufus Wainwright is a powerhouse and it's hard not to get caught up in the beauty of this record, a few songs at a time.

 


 

 


 

11 comments:

heartsofstone said...

Great points. There is a reason why there are so few great double albums. CD bloat was the cause of this. Just because there is space doesn't mean it should be filled.

buzzbabyjesus said...

"It's like listening to "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" 15 different ways." is enough to scare me off. I'd really need "Baby Driver", "Cecilia", and "Bye Bye Love" to hold my interest.

Shriner said...

Hey! Twelve Thirty is on it! One of my 150-best songs (in the upper-tier too!) Can't go wrong with that! :-)

Strummer62 said...

Just can't get past his voice, annoying and smug, just not an artist I can listen to regardless of the quality of his music

cmealha said...

I can’t understand being annoyed by his voice. I’d have an easier time understanding not liking his music. His voice is one of the purist instruments I’ve ever listened to. I’ve had issues with artists’ voices but I don’t get the criticism of Rufus’ voice.

Chris Collins said...

Rufus is an artist who I've visited a few times but I was never able to stay there. I'll give this a try!

Noel M said...

Nice review and I liked the clips you shared, esp the John Legend duet (even though I'm a Chaka Khan fanatic).

I've loved Rufus since his first record, but for me unfortunately he peaked right then, maybe even on the first song. Plus I love Poses, and parts of Want One and Want Two, then that was basically it for me except some of Out Of The Game.

So thank you for making me aware of this ... yet another record I'd have not known existed if not for Burning Wood.

kodak ghost said...

As you ( and others) have suggested, the voice is the difficult instrument. Many of his earlier songs I felt were just overblown and bombastic and exercises in vocal mannerisms. I also had the same reaction to Jeff Buckley. I see some reviewers have given it 10 out of 5 stars!

I will give this another go ( I was really wanting to like it!).

kodak ghost said...

I've given this a few more listens, and I realise what it is that I don't like.
He has a great voice.... but these are (mainly) 'folk' songs, and when he goes into his "operatic" mode ( especially on the high notes of the solo songs) , it doesnt gel for me.

Now listening to Susanne Sunfor.

Cheers

Shriner said...

I finally listened to this today (slow work day).

I agree -- way too long, but wouldn't be unpleasant to have in the background on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Not sure I'd spin it a second time, though. Twelve Thirty is still the best thing on it.

Damning it with faint praise from these parts...

Rick said...

Finally got around to listening. The harmony with Susanna Hoffs is wonderful. Love a lot of what she has done with Matthew Sweet as well. This cover of Twelve Thirty really makes me happy.