Sunday, July 23, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 7/15-7/21


 

 

Paintbox- Pink Floyd
Sexy Sadie- The Beatles
Jungle Lion- Lee "Scratch" Perry
Heart Of Steel- Galactic w/Irma Thomas
Listen To The Wise Man- East Side Kids
This Hurt Is Real- O.V. Wright
Ordinary Girl- Mike & The Mechanics

 

zip

 

 

Paintbox
I got to see the new Syd Barrett documentary "Have You Got It Yet?" on the day it opened last week. It was a very limited run, and I imagine it will be streaming by the time I finish typing this sentence. I highly recommend it. Maybe it will kick off a mini-Floyd binge, like it did for me.

Sexy Sadie- The Beatles
The 2018 stereo mix of this popped up on the iPod shuffle and it knocked me out.

Jungle Lion- Lee "Scratch" Perry
Yet another genius move by "Scratch," this time he's dubbing up Al Green.

Heart Of Steel- Galactic w/Irma Thomas
Miss Irma fits perfectly inside Galactic's New Orleans funk.

Listen To The Wise Man- East Side Kids
A slice of the Sunset Strip, circa 1967, this 45 will set you back a few hundred bucks. I once read this was a favorite of David Hidalgo.

This Hurt Is Real- O.V. Wright

A slice of Memphis soul, circa 1969, this 45 will set you back $6. This is a favorite of mine, and I bet David Hidalgo loves it, too.

Ordinary Girl- Mike & The Mechanics

Mike & The Mechanics have one or two pop gems per album. I can take or leave most everything else. This one is from their 1999 release "M6" and it has enough hooks for a striped bass party boat.





For the handful of you who have read this far, and the even fewer who give a rat's uvula about vinyl, I picked up a pretty small but potent collection on Wednesday, with titles ranging from cheap fillers and solid essentials to a few rarely seen...uh...rarities. Take a look at what's new over here or click the "records for sale" link under the "I WANT YOUR RECORDS" heading on the left, and feel free to go shopping, or I'll soon be selling battery-operated dental floss door to door.

Thanks for looking.


5 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

An especially amusing and intriguing roundup of titles and your takes on them. I would def buy battery operated dental floss!

Allan Rosenberg said...

Sal:

Concerning the wear and tear and scuffs on the "Elvis Costello And The Attractions* - Get Happy!! (LP, Album), I believe those marks are part of the design of the original vinyl album outer sleeve.. My copy and a friend's copy back in the day had those identical markings.

Check if that is the case, if you can. Then the value of your copy should be higher as it is as new and as designed.

Captain Al

Why the hell do I remember details like this and half the time I can't remember that Tino Martinez was the first basemen for the 1998 Yankees and have to look that fact up at least once a month!

Anonymous said...

I've missed the commentary on the selections for the SOTW the last couple weekends, so I'm glad you're back to reporting (and, I will add, in the sardonic style I come to BW for). Like to see the spring return to your step.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

Captain Al,
Thanks for the tip, but trust me. I've been doing this for over 50 years, I know the difference between the fake "Get Happy" ringwear and actual ringwear. It's priced correctly.
Thanks again.

dogbreath said...

Thanks for doing up your zip again. I couple of new to my ears in there. Watched an independent (fan-made?) Floyd documentary at the weekend, all about Atom Heart Mother (plus bits on Zabriskie Point and Ron Geesin's The Body). AHM is still probably my favourite Floyd album - I know! How could he? He's Joking, right? Anyway, love the SOTW still too.