Friday, September 15, 2023

"Life After Bruce": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


 

This mix is not a "Best Of" post-Bruce Thomas tracks. With the exception of both Sugarcanes albums, I really like or love most of E.C.'s output of the last 30 years. I put this mix together as a fun listen, with some oddball choices, a few covers you may or may not know, and some of my favorite deep cuts. I included the U.S. single mix of "Alison" because most people, including Elvis, hate it. I love it. The strings and extra harmonies are right in my sappy wheelhouse.

A common complaint about these records is the kitchen sink production. I listened to "Spike" last night and I admit, most of the songs were sabotaged by Kevin Killen and T-Bone Burnett. Is "Spike" a Spike Jones homage, because that's what half of the songs on "Spike" sound like.

But, I'll stand by almost all of these records. The good far outweighs the bad.

Dig it.

TRACKLIST:

45- Elvis Costello
Someone Else's Heart- E.C & The Roots
Bedlam- E.C. & The Imposters
Don't Throw Your Love Away- E.C.
Refuse To Be Saved- E.C. & The Roots
Song With Rose- E.C. & The Imposters
If You Love Me- E.C. & The Imposters
No Hiding Place- E.C. & The Imposters
Border Song- E.C. & Allen Toussaint
Big Boys Cry- E.C.
The Greatest Love- E.C. & Allen Toussaint
Unwanted Number- E.C. & The Imposters
Just About Glad- E.C.
My Little Blue Window- E.C.
American Gangster Time- E.C. & The Imposters
The Scarlet Tide- E.C. & The Imposters w/Emmylou Harris
Alison (U.S. Single Version)- E.C.
The Whirlwind- E.C. & The Imposters

zip

17 comments:

Noel M said...

Looking forward to this. I see a lot of EC songs I don't know or had missed ... for instance, on that Roots record, my attention goes right to Walk Us Uptown which I play a lot, and I forget almost all its other songs.

Thanks and happy Friday Sal.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this, Sal! I’m sure it took a lot of effort to collect. 45 and the album When I Was Cruel were favorites of mine at the time. A reminder is always appreciated.
Where does the Elvis-authored Wendy James solo debut, Now Ain’t the Time for Your Tears, rate in his catalog? Her band for this included Pete Thomas. And, I did love those early Transvision Vamp albums! Thanks for all you do! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Sal Nunziato said...

Anon,
I prefer EC's versions of the Wendy James tracks. Really punchy.

Chris Bennett said...


I somehow missed Bedlam on The Delivery Man, despite it being an excellent album. I saw Elvis and Steve Naive with the NC Symphony Orchestra and was blown away both lyrically and musically. It has since become one of my favorites. Glad you mentioned it. Great list altogether!

wardo said...

Some great stuff here, to be sure.

Honest Ed said...

Good selection, but are you sure Someone Else's Heart is with the Roots?

Sal Nunziato said...

@Honest Ed,
The 45 sleeve says ?uestlove and Robert Glasper. The MP3 tagged it as The Roots.

Honest Ed said...

Ah... my iTunes copy has it as just Elvis Costello.

Honest Ed said...

Who's Don't Throw Your Love Away with?

Sal Nunziato said...

@Honest Ed,
A British band led by Ian Prowse called Amsterdam. It was on this collection:
https://www.discogs.com/release/12510610-Various-Liverpool-The-Number-Ones-Album

Anonymous said...

Very nice mix, Sal. I can't argue with any of the selections. Always happy to see a couple of selections from Momofuku--an overlooked gem in the Costello catalogue.

I do feel duty bound to speak a little on National Ransom's behalf. Yes, the production can be a little off-putting, especially right out of the gate on the title track. But I think once you get past that hurdle, the album is full of great songs like Jimmie Standing in the Rain, Stations of the Cross, Church Underground, and All These Strangers. I still play it frequently, and always enjoy it when I do.

Bill

Honest Ed said...

I'm pretty sure Ian Prowse was the support on the Costello and the Imposters UK tour last year.

stewrat said...

Don't Throw Your Love Away was a nice treat - thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sal,

Just had a chance to listen to the whole set. Nice finish with "Whirlwind." The only song that bugged me was Alison. Even if it was the "good" version it would seem out of place in this set. Also, as much as I love both Emmylou and Elvis, their voices don't blend or compliment each other that well IMHO. Thanks for your passion. It is evident in all you do.

VR

Anonymous said...

@VR Funny, I just listened to that version of Alison and kind of enjoyed it. It would’ve fit right in to Top 40 US radio of the time. And I hadn’t heard it in a long time.

Bill

Sal Nunziato said...

That version of "Alison" bugs everyone but me. And it doesn't belong, VR. But I like it.I figured it was a nice bonus.

Christine said...

Wow - I feel like "Whirlwind" belongs on Bowie's "Blackstar".