Sunday, September 24, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 9/16-9/22


 

Shining In The Light- Jimmy Page/Robert Plant
All God's Children- Jason Falkner
Shilo- Neil Diamond
Una Forma De Arco Iris- Los Shakers
You Won't See Me- The Clarendonians
Lonesome Whistle Blues- Nick Curran & The Nitecaps
I'm So Green- Can

zip

Shining In The Light- Jimmy Page/Robert Plant
Led Zeppelin fans were crushed after listening to the long awaited Page & Plant reunion "Walking Into Clarksdale." It wasn't bad. It just wasn't very good. I always loved the opener, which I think is the closest thing to vintage Zep on the album.

All God's Children- Jason Falkner
I posted about JF on Instagram, tagged him and asked "Where's the new album?" He saw the post and liked it, but he didn't answer the question. Another deep cut will have to do for now.

Shilo- Neil Diamond
One of my two favorite Neil tracks from the Bang years. The other is the Song Of The Day.

Una Forma De Arco Iris- Los Shakers
If you bought the second volume of "The White Label Promo Preservation Society," you will read about Los Shakers 1967 psych masterpiece "La Conferencia Secreta Del Toto's Bar." There is a fantastic reissue out there on the Guerssen label. This track is a favorite, which borrows more than a little from another psych masterpiece, "Gone Is The Sad Man" by Timebox. (If none of this means anything to you, just listen to the song.)

You Won't See Me- The Clarendonians
This track is not on The Best Of The Clarendonians, one of my very favorite reggae records, though it should be. If you dig this cover, you must listen to more Clarendonians

Lonesome Whistle Blues- Nick Curran & The Nitecaps
I love the blues...when it's done right. When it's done right...it doesn't all sound the same. I prefer acoustic country blues like Mance Lipscomb, Snooks Eaglin, Reverend Gary Davis, Blind Blake. I do love electric blues, especially when played by Peter Green. Nick Curran isn't a blues artist, but when he plays it, he nails it.

I'm So Green- Can
You may think you're not a fan of Can, but I bet you'll love this track.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm seriously thinking about taking a road trip out to Cal. and finding out where Jason lives and knocking on his door in hopes of getting an answer about the new album.

Re: Clarksdale - after the No Quarter/Unledded video/album, I was really hoping that they would continue in the world music/Kashmir-type direction, which they did (only) with Most High. That song and Shining In The Light are the only ones that stuck with me. I too was crushed.

Looking forward to hearing The Clarendonians, thanks for that.

Nick Curran, Can... great stuff, great Sunday mix!!

Randy

Anonymous said...

In July, I saw Andrew Leahey and The Homestead (Their 2021 release, American Static Vol. 2 is a lot of fun) at the neighborhood microbrewery. I happened to be wearing my Ege Bamyasi t-shirt. Very unexpectedly, the bass player gave a shoutout from the stage re: my t-shirt and saluting Can. Unexpected as the band is more Americana/70’s power pop. Though the bass player was wearing a 10cc t-shirt, so maybe not that unexpected.
Very much looking forward to these tunes. Thanks for all you do, Sal!

American Static, Vol. 2
https://youtu.be/qn4sBnTYDx8?si=2dKMrx49wnaPtsWb

Anonymous said...

I saw Nick Curran at a blues festival in Virginia Beach His mix of BB King, Little Richard, and the Sonics was astonishing. I think he totally confused the blues festival crowd. He died much too young.
Mike

Anonymous said...

Not to be a Fudley Correctol, but I assume that Jason Falkner is not covering the Ray Davies tune.

I rather liked Walking Into Clarksdale. It had quite a few moments and a few duds. But I liked the fact that they were carving new territory and not relying too much on the past. The tour was a different story as they gave the people what they wantedd to hear. But they did mix in four or five new ones.

Love Los Straitjackets.

VR

Sal Nunziato said...

No, not the Kinks track, but JF has covered "Wicked Annabella." Maybe another.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. "All God's Creatures." That's what I thought it was. And listening verifies it. Have seen Falker at club shows around here. He played a bunch of covers when I saw him at the Troubadour way back when. "Wicked Annabella" was one of them along with "Pleasant Valley Sunday," and "Turning Japanese." Probably more.

VR

Anonymous said...

Which "Shilo?" There's an overdubbed version that was a Bang cash-in when he was having hits on Uni. Also just discovered that "Solitary Man" recharted top 40 in 1970 when Neil was hot in 1970.

Sixtyacres said...

If you like the Clarendonians track, check out their song Rules of Life - you'll want to play it more than once!