Tuesday, November 14, 2023

Judy Mowatt's "Black Woman"

 

The hype sticker on a recent reissue of Judy Mowatt's 1979 release "Black Woman" has a five star review from the Rolling Stone Album Guide, as well as a quote from The Jamaican Observer, "One of the great reggae albums." The Shanachie label added "This album is widely considered the greatest album by a female reggae artist." Well, okay then.

My relationship with this album began in the early-80's, when I'd go on late night shopping binges at Tower Records on East 4th. I lived a few blocks away and would often drop a few hundred bucks on albums right before the store closed at midnight. One night it was all soundtracks. Another, it was all metal, which is how I discovered Metallica's "Kill 'Em All." Then, it was all reggae and "Black Woman" made the cut.

I haven't had a copy of this record since and to be honest, it has been just as long since I had heard it. I played it twice yesterday and I will play it twice today. I think that hype sticker may be on to something.

"Black Woman" might just be the reggae record for those who don't care for reggae. It is as much of a soul record, or a gospel record as it is a classic reggae record. Mowatt covers three Bob Marley tunes, who she spent years backing as part of The I-Threes, including the rare "Down In The Valley." She also wrote six of the ten tracks, including the Marley tribute "Joseph" and the mesmerizing "Sisters Chant."

"Black Woman" is a beautiful set of music, accessible and spiritual. How it has eluded me for 40 years, I don't understand. But just like that, it has also become one of my favorite reggae albums.

You can start here with the three tracks I posted, but I'd suggest giving it the ol' college try and spinning it from top to bottom. It's worth the time.

 


 

 


 

10 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

There you were at Tower Records on West 4th Street, combing the music till closing time at midnight. And there I was at the Tower Records on the Upper West Side (67th?), haunting the aisles until closing time. Though I think the only time I dropped hundreds of dollars in one fell swoop was when I plunked down for the entire Ella Fitzgerald Complete Songbooks boxed set. Money well spent.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip, Sal. The album is new to me. The first track you posted wouldn't sound out of place on an Aretha album. Will add the album to my queue.

I had a copy of Rita Marley's 1980 album Who Feels It Knows It for a while. It's pretty solid, too. Rita

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Her best album. I saw her live a year or two after this came out. Great live act. It's kind of a sin that she was in the background all those years. I've got four of her records starting with the debut (meh) in 1975. Hands down, Black Woman is the best. It stands out. Only a Woman is pretty good too but it's a different trip. Thanks.

VR

Guess I'll check out 1967-1970 after I wake up. Had a movie binge with my daughter last night-this morning. She wanted to my picks of older movies. Why do under 30,s have such an aversion to to black & white film? Time to nod out. After the last of this brandy. cheers

Cleveland Jeff said...

This sounds great, and it appears to be pretty easy to acquire. I like the way it sounds so much like soul/reggae. I was always a fan of the 1976 Martha Velez record Escape From Babylon, which she did with the Wailers. Not really all that similar, but also excellent female reggae.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Oh yeah!

Joe said...

Living in the Albany, NY area, I relished the times that work sent me down to NYC. I always saved time to take the 6 train down to Astor Place and go to Tower Records. I would pack my briefcase full of new LPs and hustle back to Albany with my loot. Great times...

art58koen said...

Wow, I consider myself a reggae fan, but had no idea of this great album, thanks!
As for Tower Records, wonderful memories too, I was flabbergasted when they opened in Bangkok in the nineties, never had seen anything like it! I must have spent countless hours there...
The version to go for is the 2005 Black Woman (Expanded Edition).

soundsource said...

It's a great record

soundsource said...

oh btw in a similar vein the Martha Velez record that the Wailers played on and Marley may have produced (I'll have to All Music that)

kodak ghost said...

Wow. Thanks for that. Never heard of her... and never would have heard of her! Thanks for the education.