Sunday, November 5, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 10/28-11/3

 


Lust For Life- Iggy Pop
All In A Day- Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros
Cream Puff War- The Grateful Dead
The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game- Grace Jones
Tribute To The Duke- Drt. Alimantado
Cocoa Butter- Roy Ayers' Ubiquity
I Believe She Will- Eddie & Ernie

zip

Lust For Life- Iggy Pop
I had a "Lust For Life" revelation about two weeks ago. I love it. I've always loved "The Idiot," but I thought "Lust For Life" was uneven. 46 years later, I've changed my mind. The album is a glammy punk gem. In some ways, even sleazier than "The Idiot." Here's the very obvious title track.

All In A Day- Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros

I know "Streetcore" was finished after Strummer's death, but I think it the best of The Mescaleros three records.

Cream Puff War- The Grateful Dead

Because I woke up to it.

The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game- Grace Jones

I've raved about the three records Grace Jones recorded for Island before. I play "Nightclubbing" regularly. But "Warm Leatherette" is really just as solid. This is from that.

Tribute To The Duke- Dr. Alimantado
Another of my favorite reggae appropriations, this is a tribute to Duke Reid, not Ellington or Patty. You'll recognize the rip.

Cocoa Butter- Roy Ayers' Ubiquity

At the very bottom of a ten foot wall of haphazardly strewn reggae records in an abandoned, unlit warehouse in Kingston Jamaica, I found a white label promo of the Roy Ayers' Ubiquity classic "Red, Black & Green." That's what the digging is all about. It's also why I am terrible record dealer. I decided to keep it.

I Believe She Will- Eddie & Ernie

The duo only recorded one single for Chess, and this is it. 


I want to thank BuzzBabyJesus for minding the store while I was gone and for his fine work.
Thanks pal!

I am back, for better or worse.


 

Home crap home, though it does look good from the air and in black and white.



I prefer this:



6 comments:

cmealha said...

Welcome back.

Michael Giltz said...

Hey, I just listened to and dug Lust For Life too! Only Bowie could make Iggy seem commercial but deviant at the same time.

You're back, for better!

Noel M said...

Welcome home and thanks for this mix Sal.

Anonymous said...

Cocoa Butter, oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me.

Nice bunch except Grace Jones. Can't get into it. Cream Puff War-Dead garage-punk-psych fun. Hear they were taking amphetamines when they did that 1st LP. I dig Sitting on Top of the World from the debut.

Welcome back.

VR

Mr. Baez said...

Welcome home. Eager to hear your Now and Then thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Cocoa Butter, oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me.

Nice bunch except I can't get into the Grace Jones cover. Like Patti Smith’s version better.

The Dead took a lot of amphetamines when they did that first LP. Cream Puff War is garage-psych-punk fun. A lot of folks that I know think it's the best song they ever did. But those same people don't like anything beyond the debut. I dig their adrenalized version of "Sitting On Top of the World," from said album.

Glad you caught up to liking Iggy's Lust For Life LP.

Regarding the title song, back in 1995 I took my 12-year old daughter to a concert of her current favorite band, Del Amitri. She only knew the song on the radio which was a very well crafted and catchy tune called "Roll To Me." She played the fuck out of it so much that I got sick of it. I didn't expect much when we went to see them at the Coach House that Saturday night.

They turned out to be more than OK. The bassist/lead singer was a hunk. He and the guitarist had great stage presence. For better or worse, their songs were all over the map stylistically. It was a wild ride since I knew nothing about the band's repertoire. They didn't want to quit, that's for sure. Two hours and 45 minutes. Two multi-song encores. Lucky I had a 90 meter DAT loaded.

About halfway through, they started mixing in covers that were also all over the map. Steve Forbert's "Goin' Down to Laurel" with major balls, Beatles "Come Together", Free's "Little Bit of Love," "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town". Even, and I kid you not, "Like a Virgin" and "Mamma Mia." But what was really unexpected were sledgehammer versions of Motorhead's "Ace of Spades," and Iggy's "Lust for Life." The latter was the closer and left me dumbfounded. Well, at least I thought it was the closer. They came back a third time and did an acoustic song called “Be My Downfall,” to ice the cake. That band really fucked with my head. They were an unexpected joyous surprise. That had to be the "magic" show. The spirit flame overtook them. But I was really confused. I never saw them again or bought their albums. That show ruined me for anything else. The albums could only disappoint. Like a really terrific one-night-stand that revisiting would spoil.

Once again, thanks for the Cocoa Butter which, for me, is the pick of the litter.

VR