Sunday, November 26, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 11/18-11/24

 


The Jet Set- Joe Jackson
Delta Skelta- Garage A Trois
Don't Lie To Me '72- The Rolling Stones
Sugar Wooga Man- Marcia Griffiths
Bron-Y-Aur Stomp- Led Zeppelin
Generation Rumble- Dave Edmunds
Etude Revisitied- Bruford Levin Upper Extremities

zip

The Jet Set- Joe Jackson
1986, Joe Jackson is all over the place. Big rooms, small clubs and a live recording at The Roundabout Theatre, which became "Big World," still my second favorite J.J. album. Three sides, all killer, no filler. I did see Joe at S.O.B.'s, a tiny room and bar that hosted The Sounds Of Brazil, among other sounds. You didn't need to keep quiet at that show.

Delta Skelta- Garage A Trois

Charlie Hunter, Stanton Moore, Mike Dillon and Skerik getting all swampy and funky and greasey. This is from the album "Emphasizer," a favorite of 2003.

Don't Lie To Me '72- The Rolling Stones
I've always loved the Stones take on this Chuck Berry tune. I think I prefer this later version over the one on "Metamorphosis."

Sugar Wooga Man- Marcia Griffiths
This week's "move on, nothing to see here" reggae entry is a 1975 single-only track from the first lady of Reggae, Miss Marcia Griffiths. Even my mother liked this one.

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp- Led Zeppelin
I never tire of Led Zeppelin "III." Some days it's my favorite LZ record, and every other day, it's either #2 or #3.

Generation Rumble- Dave Edmunds

This one is all about the groove and that killer drum sound. You can't make a good record without a good drum sound, kids.

Etude Revisitied- Bruford Levin Upper Extremities
1998, Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, David Torn and Chris Botti (!) set The Bottom Line on fire with a live performance that blew my hair back. I hadn't listened to this "one and done" record in ages. It sounded better than ever this week.

10 comments:

steve simels said...

Can’t wait to hear the Stones track.

Michael Giltz said...

Re: Joe Jackson. Ha! I was almost afraid to go see him in concert.:

Favorite Zep album: Physical Graffiti.

Anonymous said...

Bruford Levin Upper Extremities, Garage A Trois, and Dave Edmunds are all excellent tracks. One of the few gigs I've seen in NYC was at SOB's (Baaba Maal); it was also the most fun.

- Paul in DK

Noel M said...

Is it just me or are your SOTD mixes getting even better and better? A bunch here I hadn't heard before, cool choices all. Thanks a lot Sal.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Noel
Yeah, it's just you.
;)

cmealha said...

I agree with your assessment of LZ III. On any given day, it's their best, along with I, II, IV, and Houses of the Holy :-)

cmealha said...

P.S. I absolutely loved Bruford Levin Upper Extremities. I'd never heard anything by them but I must have some more.

Anonymous said...

For Dave Edmunds drum sounds, nothing beats his version of Run Rudolph Run, which I heard while in a Tower Records in Berkeley ca. 1983 and bought immediately.
That Bruford Levin Upper Extremities cut smokes! For some reason it brings to mind 801, the "live" album I was introduced to via this very blog.
Please keep including the reggae numbers, even if there are only a few of us fans of the genre (tho, like blues and bluegrass and other generally hidebound genres, I'm not really a fan, but have lots of what I consider great songs that stand out from the herd).
C in California

Anonymous said...

nice mix thanks. like marcia griffith tune a lot. re your comment on reggae songs that are not appreciated i might suggest a playlist of reggae covers of well known songs might go down better with the skeptics. btw marcia griffith does a killer version of the Beatle's Don't Let Me Down that could be on the playlist. rs

Sal Nunziato said...

RS,
"playlist of reggae covers of well known songs might go down better with the skeptics"

Actually, the "skeptics" usually complain that reggae covers often do nothing to the original except change the rhythm. But it's worth a shot, as I find some of them to be truly brilliant.