Sunday, November 12, 2023

Songs Of The Week, 2023: 11/4-11/10

 


I Know What I Like- Genesis
Illinois- Nirvana
Qualified- Dr. John
You'd Better Believe It- Hawkwind
Strung Out- Thurman
My Voice Is Insured For Half Million Dollars- Dennis Alcapone
Zona Sul- Rosalia de Souza

zip


I Know What I Like- Genesis
I was click-baited once again, falling like a rube for some trash piece titled "Worst Song On Every Genesis Album." Yeah, I know. Some of you are thinking, "All of them!" But I am a fan from "Trespass" through "Duke." Once they threw in the towel completely and took MTV's money, I got off the bus. But I digress. This is NOT the worst track on "Selling England By The Pound." That album is perfect and so is this single.

Illinois- Nirvana
Not that Nirvana, this Nirvana, with a beautiful piece of baroque pop.

Qualified- Dr. John
"Your steak ain't no hipper than my pork chop, Your Cadillac ain't no hipper than my bus stop, Your champagne ain't no hipper than my soda pop"--This one never gets old.

You'd Better Believe It- Hawkwind
I listened to "Hall Of The Mountain Grill" while taking off from Louis Armstrong International Airport. What an amazing soundtrack for flying.

Strung Out- Thurman
Many moons ago, a friend asked me if I had heard of this new band called Thurman. I hadn't. He said I should listen to it. I did. It's been a favorite ever since. Look for the album "Lux." It will satisfy all your glammy needs much better than Suede ever could.

My Voice Is Insured For Half Million Dollars- Dennis Alcapone
My weekly reggae push comes from a 45 I found while digging at Rockers International. In a perfect world, this will put a smile on all of your mugs.

Zona Sul- Rosalia de Souza

Also many moons ago, a customer special ordered a Rosalia de Souza CD and never came back to pick it up. I took it home and enjoyed it, especially this track.


Finally, I haven't sold a record in three days. I blame the Beatles. Anyway, I've got some good stuff waiting for a new home. In the words of Rudy Giuliani, "Go shopping!"

Records

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosalia De Souza? Would've thought I was listening to Flora Purim...which is good!

Great discovery, thanks!!

Randy

Noel M said...

Thank you for this, Sal - a bunch I'd never heard of before!

Anonymous said...

Selling England rules. I started withdrawing when Hackett quit. But since I've become a completist, I bought all the commersh shit too. Plus, all the pertinent boots. I bought the single for the B-Side. When it comes to prog, I enjoy all realms. But love Crimson, Gong, Van Der Graaf Generator. Early on. the rhythm section had been latter day members of the Misunderstood.

Dr. John - Lotsa great memories of his shows. One of the really good ones was at Bogart's in Long Beach late 1980's. Rick Danko and Garth Hudson opened. One hell of a night.


Once, when I took my youngest daughter to the beach to teach her how to surf better, the waves weren't as advertised. So, we fucked around on the pier in the arcade and such. Well, they had a free music thing going on and the tunes started at eleven in the morning. One of the acts was Rosalia de Souza. She was entertaining. We stuck around for a while. Les Nubians and Lidisi also performed. All were great. We didn't stick around for the headliners who were Vonda Shepard and Jim Belushi's crap band.

Hawkwind - Love that band too. Bought their first album on a lark. They were blowing out UA product, so I snagged it and a Groundhogs album. I was a teenage acid head. I was born to take LSD and sometimes still do. It's like rocket fuel for the brain. I get telepathic. Hawkwind seldom toured the US in their heyday. I saw them at the Santa Monica Civic and have the gig poster, which is really cool and big, framed and hanging in the front room.

I'm listening as I write-Nirvana not my favorite song by them. I once met a guy who claimed he had a copy of the Black Flower LP. I told him they didn't exist. But he swore he had one. And he wanted to sell it. I told him to come by my house with a copy and I'd look it over. I even told him I'd trade him for the Grande poster I had hanging the game room. I never saw him again.

Thurman sounds like t rex but I won't hold it against them.

The reggae thing is what it is. No biggie, Excuse typos. Another late night. Aloha

VR

Anybody got a beer? Without any LSD in it?

Chris Collins said...

I will fight anyone about Genesis. I'm with you for the same exact period, although I kinda love them up to the Invisible Touch album. Even "Abacab" and "Genesis" had great, great moments