Saturday, December 2, 2023

Burning Wood's Top 15 Of 2023

I did myself a favor this year and completely ignored all "Best Of 2023" lists. I simply don't care. 

Okay, that's not completely true. I am still very open to discovering something new. But I find that with each passing year, my personal window gets smaller and smaller, and quite frankly, it's better for my health not to read about Lil Yachty and Yves Tumor. For research purposes, I did scroll through all of Rolling Stone's Top 100, just to see how many of my favorites were on it. Exactly two! Two out of my fifteen favorites made their list. The New York Times had even less. I think I saw one, and it was an "also good." 

If I look at some outside lists from the smaller places like mine, I see hundreds of bands and artists I have never heard before, all with one or two releases under their belts, all not really sounding like Big Star and Cheap Trick like the press releases promise, and somehow all making better records than any of my brilliant old warhorses. I ain't buying it.

So, it's official. I'm old and boring, and I have less patience for crap. But as the saying goes, "One man's crap is The New York Times Best Records Of 2023 List."

In related news, I think Mitski's record is unlistenable, yet it was #4 on Rolling Stone's Top 100. Mitski can take it on a hop.

 

Without further adieu, here are my 15 Favorites Of 2023. Astute readers will probably already know what they are. Like I said, I'm boring. But I do enjoy my music.

 

 

 

15. Graham Parker & The Goldtops- Last Chance To Learn The Twist

Billed as Graham Parker & The Goldtops, "Last Chance To Learn The Twist" features Martin Belmont on guitar and Geraint Watkins on keyboards and it is the first GP record in a very long time that really stuck to my bones. It's an understated affair, and yet just about all the songs take me back to the salad days with The Rumour. Parker and The Goldtops try their hand at some Louisiana swamp pop on "Grand Scheme of Things," a bit of Memphis soul on "Sun Valley" and of course some good ol' pub rock on "Wicked Wit." With the exception of the reggae novelty of "Them Bugs," there really isn't a clam on "Last Chance To Learn The Twist." This is an excellent addition to a long, respected career. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14. Lucinda Williams- Stories From A Rock & Roll Heart

I disliked the first single from Lucinda's new record so much, I waited a month or so before I decided to listen to all of "Stories From A Rock & Roll Heart." I never thought I'd say this but, Bruce Springsteen's thankless vocal cameo on "New York Comeback" made me wince. The song isn't so great to begin with and Bruce's appearance seemed gratuitous and affected. Thankfully, things got better in a hurry and Lucinda Williams 2023 release has no less than six brilliant songs, most of which are unavailable to stream, for some reason. "Last Call For The Truth" and her tribute to Tom Petty, "Stolen Moments" are particularly wonderful.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

13. P. Hux- As Good As Advertised
I've been a fan of P. Hux for a very long time, but admittedly dropped the ball along the way. His 2001 release "Purgatory Falls" is a devastating and beautiful tribute to his late wife, that I've loved for years, however difficult it may be to listen to. This year's entry, "As Good As Advertised" is far more upbeat and features enough hooks to snag a flounder. You can buy this terrific record over here.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

12. Lydia Loveless- Nothing's Gonna Stand In My Way Again

It took 13 years and 6 albums, but Lydia Loveless has just released a record that is sticking to my ribs. It's not that I disliked her previous releases. I knew she had something. It just had a difficult time getting to me. The songs on "Nothing's Gonna Stand In My Way Again" hit me immediately. I love the nod to The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" in "Poor Boy." "Do The Right Thing" is full of 60's pop references. "Summerlong" is a gorgeous closer. The whole record comes and goes in a little over 30 minutes, but it's a meaty 33 minutes and it had that thing that so many records these days lack: it made me want to go right back in and play it again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

11. Extreme- Six

I have a love/hate relationship with the band Extreme that isn't very complicated at all. I love about half of their output and I hate about half. Extreme is the perfect name for this band, for reasons I am sure they hadn't considered.

Let's get the bad news out the way.

The lyrics across their 30 year, six album career, can be hilariously dumb. I don't mean life/strife, fire/higher dumb. I mean, overly cute and not terribly clever or funny, like calling songs "Polticalamity" or "Little Jack Horny." Gary Cherone's vocals are too often too much, like trying to crack an egg with a ball peen hammer. Worse though, is that I think Gary Cherone's biggest fan is Gary Cherone, and that comes across in too many of the songs, even in the ones I love. 

On the upside, Nuno Bettencourt has more talent in his uvula than most musicians currently dominating the music world. He sings better than Cherone and has a keen ear for harmony. And while I am not a fan of shredders and/or shredding, Nuno is the absolute best at it, and that is because it's more than just a show. He uses his ear for melody and harmony and so his guitar solos sing while also taking your breath away. His guitar solo in the opening track "Rise" has made every living guitarist's jaw drop, from Brian May to Steve Vai.  Is Extreme "Six" going to turn the haters around? Not likely. But fans of hard rock and heavy metal or not, there is a lot of good music and terrific playing on this record. "Six," like the first five, goes from one extreme to the other, and I've come to accept that. I'll ignore the "Little Jack Hornies,"  so I can hear some very solid rock and roll, which when they focus, Extreme plays as well as anybody.

 


 

 

 

10. Brad Mehldau- Your Mother Should Know: Brad Mehldau Plays The Beatles

Another day, another Beatles cover record, right?  Wrong. 

This is Brad Mehldau, one of the finest musicians in all of music, jazz or otherwise. Melhdau has been creating miraculous records blending his love for jazz and rock and roll for years now. I first fell in love with his music upon hearing his 2002 release "Largo," the first of his records (to my knowledge) to turn the jazz world on its ears. "Largo," produced by pop genius Jon Brion, was a hodgepodge of jazz improvisation, baroque pop, and electronica, occasionally all at the same time. And while it didn't work for jazz purists, it knocked my socks off, with incredible melodies and sonics, brilliant musicianship and genius covers of songs by Radiohead, Jobim and Lennon and McCartney. There is even a song called "Sabbath" that sounds more than a bit like Black Sabbath with a treated piano doing its best Tony Iommi impression. From the opening track, the glorious "When It Rains," I was hooked on this piano player.

Many years, records and a few live performances later, I still look forward to anything he releases. "Your Mother Should Know" is a live performance that I first heard just a few weeks after it was recorded in Paris in 2020, as some French philanthropist uploaded a perfect recording to one of the many sites I visit. The people at Nonesuch Records must have felt the same as I did, and decided it was worthy of release.

It is a solo piano performance of a handful of not-so-obvious choices and one is more beautiful than the next. 

If I haven't sold you, that's okay. But I do hope you check it out. I think "Baby's In Black" is nothing short of stunning.

When you're finished here, please go to YouTube and dial up "When It Rains" from Brad Mehldau's "Largo." I think it will make you happy. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 9.  Joe Jackson- Presents Max Champion In "What A Racket"

This is the surprise of the year. Joe Jackson has taken on big band music, Latin music, Cuban music, jazz, pop, punk, classical and soul and believe it or not, has been convincing with most of it. On "Max Champion In What A Racket," Joe takes on British dancehall and it is an absolute joy. I knew from the first pass that it would be a favorite of the year and after the second pass, I was completely convinced. Listening to this record was the most fun I've ever had without being stoned.

To reiterate, British dancehall music can be found in the music of many artists that we love from The Kinks to The Beatles to Queen and Sparks, and even the Rolling Stones on "Between The Buttons." Small doses seem okay. But an entire record might be asking too much. Instead, I found myself wanting more of Joe Jackson "Presents Max Champion in What A Racket." I was having so much fun, I actually said out loud to no one, "Awww" when it was over.

The name Max Champion sounded very familiar to me until I realized he wasn't a boxer or a silent film director. When I found out who he was, I realized I knew nothing about him. That may also be due to the fact that Max Champion might have been created just for this record. I'm still not completely sure. Whoever he is, a Joe Jackson persona or a character from the past, he has inspired one hell of an album.

I imagine British dancehall music meant a lot to people like Ray Davies and Paul McCartney and even Joe Jackson, which is why this record works so well. It's a labor of love and it is best taken whole. I don't think samplig it would do the record justice and I think you'd be selling yourself short, like watching a random 15 minutes of a movie and deciding it wasn't for you.

Clear your head, especially if you are a fan of Joe Jackson. The record is about 40 minutes and it is complete joy from top to bottom.

 


 

 


 

 

 



8.  Sparks- The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte

There are few artists still making records after 50 plus years whose three most recent releases are as good as their first five. Sparks have been on some roll, and are now finally getting the attention they have deserved for years. "The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte" is classic. It's tight, compact, catchy, hilarious and brilliant. 

 

 

 

 

 




7.  Margaret Glaspy- Echo The Diamond

"Echo The Diamond" stayed with me far longer than I expected it to. Each pass hit me harder than the one before it. The barebones production and arrangements are courtesy of Glaspy's partner, guitarist Julian Lage, and it's that minimal attack on the guitars and drums that I find so appealing. Someone I know said it reminded him of Television's "Marquee Moon," and after listening, I didn't call him an idiot. I get it.

"Echo The Diamond" is loaded with hooks, and while I usually have little patience for that Alanis Morrissette flourish in a lead vocal, I think Margaret Glaspy handles it well and she doesn't ever overuse it. Plus I think her songs are better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.  Mike Viola- Paul McCarthy

 “I set out to make a sonic monster using the legs of James Gang Rides Again, the heart of Black Sabbath Paranoid, with my kid brain inside, my greying middle aged head on top. I've hit a point in my life where instinct has taken the reigns fully, logic now waits in the wings to sweep up the stage and pay the taxi fare home. This album is the result of committing to this path fully and laughing all the way."

-Mike Viola

Well, damn if that doesn't perfectly describe "Paul McCarthy," Mike Viola's stellar new release. I honestly don't know where to begin. Oh, wait. I know. 

When Mike Viola dropped the first single, the title track earlier this year, I was not impressed. It reminded me too much of a number of different Mike Viola songs and that was the least of my problems with it. I just didn't get the song. Was it an in-joke? I hate in-jokes. Now, in the context of the album, I still don't quite get it, but I know it is supposed to be here.

What does that mean? It means that if we can moan about legacy artists and their basic album templates, then we should shut the hell up when a genius like Mike Viola creates another record that is full of twists and turns and odd instrumentation (which is not to say guitars, bass, keyboards and drums are odd, they are just utilized in thrilling ways and not your basic power pop arrangements), and gorgeous melodies and uncomfortably personal lyrics, with unexpected detours through krautrock--"Torp"--and heavy metal parodies--"Water Makes Me Sick," which is every song on Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" all at once. Yes, all of that happens on "Paul McCarthy" and every damn second of it works. 





 


 

5. African Head Charge- A Trip To Bolgatanga

African Head Charge has been led by percussionist Bonjo Iyabinghi Noah since 1981. They first appeared on my radar just a few years ago. And while their 1990 release "Songs Of Praise" is widely considered their masterpiece, I find this year's release "A Trip To Bolgatanga" to be the better record. The music is hard to explain. There are no "singles" yet there are plenty of hooks. It isn't reggae. It isn't ambient, yet it works as meditation. It satisfies. What it is, is perfect. "Bolgatanga" has been one of my most played records this year.

 

 

 

 




4. The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds

Everyone everywhere has probably said enough about "Hackney Diamonds," so I won't take it too far now. I'll just say, I am still not tired of it. It's solid. All of it. It's a damn good Rolling Stones record, no matter how hard you try to resist it. Stop trying to resist it. What's the point?

 

 

 

 

 




3. Iggy Pop- Every Loser

I did not love this record on first listen. While I love that Iggy Pop can still make an album like this, I wasn't sure I liked it, at least not on the first two spins. "Every Loser" is loud and fast, courtesy of a band that features members of Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam, Jane's Addiction and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But as one person commented on my Instagram post a few weeks ago, "Why does Iggy continually dumb down on the lyrics?" The lyrics on this record, at times, are cringemaking.

But that's Iggy, I guess. And I guess by the third listen, "exploding turds" didn't bother me as much, because I was really enjoying the album as a whole. You will hear classic Stooges riffs, some "I Wanna Be Your Dog" piano and even some Iggy crooning on "Every Loser." It's hard and tight and it is not short on hooks. I think my initial passes through "Every Loser" were tainted by the "Iggy's Back" hype. I gave the record a two week rest and really had a great time with it third time around. Now, almost a year later, it has been one of my most played records of the year. It rocks and rocks hard!

 

 

 

 

 




2. Krasno/Moore Project- Book Of Queens

Long time readers know that I have been singing the praises of Stanton Moore for over twenty years. The first time I saw him behind the drums was at an in-store performance at the Louisiana Music Factory, showcasing the music from his 2001 release "Flyin' The Koop." It changed my life. Not just because it was music that seemed new to me, having only been to New Orleans twice at this point and still oblivious to that special mix of funk, jazz and soul that is rarely replicated in any other city, but as a drummer, because while most musicians strive to be better, once I saw Stanton play, I wanted to trade my kit in for a kazoo.

Since then, Stanton Moore has released some of my favorite music of all time. Whether with his trio, or with the avant-funk collective Garage A Trois with Charlie Hunter and Skerik, or with New Orleans' treasure Galactic, Moore's playing always, ALWAYS takes the performances to levels that I don't believe could be achieved with a different drummer.

Moore is not about flash, though he can be when the time is right. Stanton is about creating a groove, a pocket so deep, you'll need a miner's helmet to get out, and on his just released new record, "Book Of Queens," credited to the Krasno/Moore Project, he along with Soulive/Lettuce guitarist extraordinaire Eric Krasno pay tribute to some very special women with a set of unique interpretations of songs by Amy Winehouse, Nina Simone, Brittany Howard, Aretha Franklin, H.E.R, Billie Eilish and more on a session recorded at Levon Helm's studio. It is New Orleans funky, occasionally greasy, and at times stunningly beautiful.


 

Krasno's tone can sound like Jeff Beck or Duane Eddy, even Jimi if you get lost in the music and let it take you there. His playing is stellar throughout, but of course, I am listening harder to Stanton. He has never disappointed and on "Book Of Queens," he just might have outdid (outdone?) himself. I've always thought of Stanton Moore as New Orleans' version of John Bonham. He hits hard, rarely shows off, and he is easily identifiable. But I think that may sell Stanton short. Sometimes it is what he doesn't play, that extra second of space, that New Orleans-only drag and stutter on the snare that changes the whole damn vibe of the song. It's 2023, and I don't think there is a better or more versatile drummer than Stanton Moore. He is even recording a new record with doom-metal legends Corrosion Of Conformity, for Pete's sake.

Krasno/Moore get a little help on this project from Eric Finland, Corey Henry and Branford Marsalis and as of today, "Book Of Queens" is my second favorite record of the year. Even if a few more extraordinary records get released, nothing will be better than the hesitation at the 1:14 mark of "Carried Away." It happens a few times and I screamed with pleasure each time. This is the very definition of bad ass.

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

1. The Lemon Twigs- Everything Harmony

I have been on top of every Lemon Twigs record since their full length debut in 2016. I've heard genius and brilliance on all of them. The D'Addario brothers have more talent than they know what to do with and that may have harmed them more than helped, because not everyone has the patience these days to sit and listen to a record properly, and if a hook doesn't jump out and grab hold immediately, most won't want to wait out the strange characters, and concept albums about monkeys setting fire to a school, or Meat Loaf and Queen parodies, hoping to find a few pop gems amidst the insanity. What I am saying is, I love The Lemon Twigs and I have loved all of their records, but I totally understand why many do not, the same way I understand why Todd Rundgren has been so polarizing in his 50 plus year career. The Twigs owe a lot to Mr. Rundgren, for better or worse. In my world, it's their greatest asset.

I truly believe that is going to change once "Everything Harmony" is released. The Lemon Twigs have seemingly grown up overnight and what this new record offers is what I feel is the first perfect record in ages. There are 13 songs and all 13 are pop gems. There are no kitchen sinks to be found. No in-jokes. Just 13 often stunning songs, that evoke Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas & The Papas, the sweeter side of the Raspberries and Todd Rundgren and dare I say it, a few big power ballads that would make Air Supply proud. 

"Corner Of My Eye" sounds like a lost Critters 45. "What You Were Doing" is another Twigs track that seems very inspired by Chris Bell. "Any Time Of Day" feels like the perfect blend of pre and post "Saturday Night Fever" Bee Gees, and it includes one the greatest hooks not found in the Stella Maris Bait N Tackle shop in Sheepshead Bay. If we were living in the 70's heyday of AM radio, "Ghost Run Free" would be everyone's summer song, a #1 smash blasting from every car radio.



If you think I am gushing, you'd be completely turned off by my behavior if you were in front of me. "Everything Harmony" has hit me hard. Every song has pushed a button that has more often than not moved me emotionally. It's been a very long time since I have played a record everyday, sometimes twice, for as long as I have stayed with "Everything Harmony."



BURNING WOOD'S TOP 15 OF 2023
1. The Lemon Twigs- Everything Harmony
2. Krasno/Moore Project- Book Of Queens
3. Iggy Pop- Every Loser
4. The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds
5. African Head Charge- A Trip To Bolgatanga
6. Mike Viola- Paul McCarthy
7. Margaret Glaspy- Echo the Diamond
8. Sparks- The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte
9. Joe Jackson- Presents Max Champion In What A Racket
10. Brad Mehldau- Your Mother Should Know: Brad Mehldau Plays The Beatles
11. Extreme- Six
12. Lydia Loveless- Nothing's Ever Gonna Stand In My Way
13. P. Hux- As Good As Advertised
14. Lucinda Williams- Stories From A Rock & Roll Heart
15. Graham Parker & The Goldtops- Last Chance To Learn The Twist

 




19 comments:

Shriner said...

I'm surprisingly having a hard time this year coming up with a list of any "top" records. Don't know why, either as everything is otherwise solidly good in my life (maybe too good this year...) I'll need a moment. haha.

Troy said...

Interesting list, Sal. I agree, it seems to get tougher every year. When I looked at what I enjoyed the most this year, it is mostly stuff from 2022 that was a bit slow to grow on me. I'm sure that's more on me than it is on the music itself. Maybe I'll start doing my list with a one-year delay from now on. Anyway, here's what I've liked most (so far, at least) from 2023:

Revivalists - Pour It Out Into the Night (this is just a fun, uplifting album that gets my blood pumping)

Ivan Neville - Touch My Soul (love the Neville family vibe, didn't realize how much I've missed that since the Brothers stopped)

Walter Wolfman Washington - Feel So At Home (beautiful final album from a true NOLA original)

Jason Isbell - Weathervanes (he continues to make terrific records)

Michael McDermott - Lost City Seattle (recently recovered original version of Michael's second album, Gethsemane. I still prefer the version that was released, but this has been a real treat to hear)

Honorable mention:
Juliana Hatfield Sings ELO (enjoyed this way more than I thought I would)

Bruce Hornsby- Spirit Trail reissue (a longtime favorite of mine made even better with bonus tracks and a live disc)

Peter Gabriel - i/o (this one is growing on me)

kevin m said...

Here are my favorites in no particular order: Robert Finley "Black Bayou", Isreal Nash "Ozarker", Stones "HD", Joan Osbourne "Nobody Owns You", Duane Betts "Wild & Precious Life", Lucinda "Stories" (and I love the song Stolen Moments and had no idea it was about Tom Petty), Jason Isbell "Weathervanes", Myron Elkins "Factories, Farms, & Amphetamines", Mikey Dolenz "Dolenz Sings REM" and the BAG MEN singles (2/3 of Trigger Hippy and Luther Dickinson)

And while not new music I did really enjoy U2's Songs of Surrender. There show at the Sphere in Vegas was really special

Cheers and Happy Holidays to all!

Noel M said...

Thanks a ton for sharing this ... I will spend time checking out all I haven't heard yet because there are several new ones to me.

Which brings me to a point: I don't think your ears are un-open to new sounds. In fact, your list probably contains more "unknown names" than mine will!

For now though, gotta say that the P. Hux record is in the running for my favorite this year, and that is only because you sang its praises here and I got a signed copy mailed to me by P. himself.

I can already say that the title song of the P. Hux record "As Good As Advertised" is my favorite song of 2023.

cmealha said...

There's less overlap in our lists than there was last year. I was surprised that Ian Hunter didn't make the list. I'm with you on Mike Viola, The Stones, The Twigs, and especially Joe Jackson which is still new to me and I'm basking in its wonderfulness. I didn't come around on Sparks, even though I tried. P. Hux is worthy, although I don't think I spent enough time with it. I added Lydia Loveless and Margaret Glaspy to my tryout list but haven't tried them out yet, but I'm motivated after listening to the 2 samples. The rest I'll have to check out as I always make a point of listening to your recommendations. I would say that 3/4 of what I've added to my library this century came from your prodding.

hpunch said...

I always look forward to seeing your best of list. I would like to submit mine, with permission, but I'm still waiting on some new albums that I have high hopes for to arrive. December is not the dead month it once was. I see you have a bunch on your list that are already locked into mine. But not the same ranking. Speaking of The Lemon Twigs ( not on my list ) the Michael D'Addario Trio played in Queens this week opening for the Uni Boys, The other brother was the drummer so it was pretty much the Lemon Twigs. I saw a clip of one of the songs and I thought it was a cover of some unknown power pop killer tune circa 1973. Supposedly they have a new album coming in the spring of 24.

Michael Giltz said...

I haven't even looked at the list yet. But it's like Christmas! Santa came! Santa came! Sal's favorite albums of the year are out! I did see Everything Harmony at the top! Diving in now but I predict maybe three albums overlap with Rolling Stone's 100 Best Albums of the year list. :) I hope I do better.

Michael Giltz said...

Hahahahahaha! Sal grudgingly checked and he has TWO albums in common with Rolling Stone. I admit to diving through ALL the best of the year lists, because I always hope I'll discover something new or realize an artist I love had a new album out. (Like Joe Jackson!) But I read Sal's 15 Best Albums of the Year because I know I'll be reading about 15 albums well worth my time.

pmac said...

That Krasno-Moore album has been a constant for me this entire year. Many thanks, Sal!

Shriner said...

OK -- I gave stuff a quick pass. (I haven't listened to the Peter Gabriel yet -- I need to find the time...). As always, there are a bunch of albums I liked (some on Sal's list), but not enough to say they were my favorites of the year. These, I'm pretty sure of...


Chuck Prophet — Live å Paris Nothing "new" here, but a great set and reminded me of seeing him live.
Thomas Walsh — The Rest Is History
Trans-Canada Highwaymen — Explosive Hits Vol 1 (this was a ton of fun, though only one song is an original…)
Margo Price — Strays II (“Strays” was on my best of last year — the 9 new songs are just as good…)
Sufjan Stevens — Javelin (along with the additional 5 "unreleased" songs on the Rough Trade version)
Iggy Pop — Every Loser (my "rock" album of the year...)
Tamar Berk — Tiny Injuries

(Almost made the cut — Olivia Rodrigo “Guts” and the boygenius "the record" album — I need to sit with both longer…)

Favorite EP by far: "Party of None" by Strange Neighbors. "Whoa! is Me" was my favorite song back in January and it has not moved off that pinnacle throughout the entire year! It's a dynamite track that is everything I still like about Power Pop and I still love it every time I play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOIVjRsogU

Reissue: Replacements: Tim — Let It Bleed Edition. Without question — the Ed Stasium mix is brilliant. It's not like a brand-new album, but it comes close to feeling like I've never really heard it before.


Anonymous said...

thanks Sal! I think I could have predicted your list, but you've reminded me of a few from earlier in the year that I'd forgotten. I agree that it is a waste of time to chase the hyped bands and trust in proven sources for news of good music. besides, I’m getting old, and i don't have THAT much time to browse. Below is what I've played the most:

American Analog Set – For Forever (I would reunite after 18 years, too, if I could come up with an album like this)
Those Pretty Wrongs – Holiday Camp (Jody Stephens and Ardent Studies, do you need more?)
Horse Jumper of Love – Heartbreak Rules (guitar fuzz band strips away the effects for clean pop)
Curling – No Guitar (bedsit pop w/ occasional guitar-driven rockers in the vein of Starling Electric)
Darcy James Argue’s Secret Society – Dynamic Maximum Tension (double lp of brash brass)
Thomas Walsh – The Rest is History (singer-songwriter pop; his voice is oddly comforting)
The Clientele – I Am Not There Anymore (a darker shade of their chamber pop)
Dwight Twilley – The Tulsa Years 1999-2016 (collects, for me at least, a bunch of albums that flew under the radar)
Hania Rani – Ghosts (studio versions of electronic pieces she’s been performing in live sets)
Everything but the Girl – Fuse (aging club goers record an ode to nightclubbing)
Rodney Crowell – The Chicago Sessions (Tweedy-produced lp free of the anachronisms of Crowell’s last few albums)
Hello June – Artifacts (compilation of tracks from self-described “Appalachian indie band”)


Anonymous said...

Correction to my note about Van's Moving On Skiffle. The songs are all covers. He added/changed some words to one song, Gov Don't Allow.

- Paul in DK

Michael Giltz said...

Sal, the Joe Jackson is sensational -- so much fun. He really had a blast creating this music hall persona (his website keeps the joke going) and his voice -- he sings in character as a faux cockney performer -- is great and it's just a blast. You'd have to go back to Jumpin' Jive to see him this loose and happy in another genre. (I love his jazzy Body and Soul but it's not the free spirit that this album is.) Can't wait to see him do this in concert. Looking forward to checking out some of your picks I hadn't heard yet and relistening to others.

A second endorsement to Everything But The Girl's Fuse. If you've liked them, you'll like it.

And a second endorsement along with Shriner to Sufjan Stevens' Javelin. I'll check out Strange Neighbors. (And of course he's right about Replacement's Tim.)

And a second endorsement with Paul in DC for Dori Freeman's Do You Recall (she's really been on a roll, even without Teddy Thompson behind the mixing board) and Black Pumas, which is excellent. You've got some stuff for me to check out too.

I haven't done my list yet, but some music probably on it that might appeal to this crowd:

The Whiffs -- Scratch N Sniff (terrific garage rock)
Teddy Thompson -- TWO country albums including My Love Of Country and Duets
The Hives -- The Death Of Randy Fitzsimmons
Betty LaVette -- LaVette!
The Coral -- Sea Of Mirrors
The Struts -- Pretty Vicious

Thanks Sal!

steve simels said...

I'm with you on the Lemon Twigs, but for obvious reasons I'm prejudiced.

I'd also add the Julianna Hatfield album of ELO covers.

Mr. Baez said...

Krasno/Moore Project that's the keeper for me. Sensational.
Looking forward to more insightful insights from you in 2024. Happy holidays!

exile 62 said...

Hey Sal,
Just had another crack at Every Loser as like you i found it not too inspiring after two listens, and yep its better than i remembered.

Shriner said...

(Did my post get whacked? Was it the YouTube link? I should have saved a copy of it for my own personal reference...haha)

Sal Nunziato said...

Shriner,
I just checked comments from the inside and for some reason after publishing, it ended up in the spam folder. No idea why? It's back!

DaveF said...

My top ten does include:
Iggy Pop- Every Loser
The Rolling Stones- Hackney Diamonds
Sparks- The Girl Is Crying In Her Latte
Extreme- Six

But my #1 nod goes to Electric Six - Turquoise