Friday, March 29, 2024

Firsts (Seconds)



Bruce Springsteen:
The Columbia House Record Club used to advertise on television. One afternoon, a commercial came on highlighting three records that were made available through the club. It was here that I heard Bruce Springsteen for the first time. His first two records were nowhere on my radar and so I thought this record being advertised, “Born To Run,” was his first. A medley of the music being advertised was playing in the background, along with Robin Trower’s “Bridge Of Sighs,” and a third record I can’t recall, while the announcer talked about the club and its benefits, and just as the final pitch was made, the music swelled and I heard “And I can’t gooo on!” As clear as a bell, almost 50 years later, I can still see that television and hear the bridge from “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out '' coming out of that tiny TV speaker in my living room. That one line haunted me for weeks until I was able to purchase “Born To Run.” The rest is history.




STEELY DAN:

Steely Dan had released five albums before I associated their hit singles with their name. Songs like “Reelin’ In the Years,” “Do It Again,” and “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” were AM radio staples, and while I loved all three, they’d often just get lost in the shuffle with other favorites like “Amie” by Pure Prairie League” or “Love Grows” by Edison Lighthouse. I knew of Steely Dan but I didn’t really get to know Steely Dan until one weekend at my cousin Al’s house, when he played “Kid Charlemagne,” the first track off the band’s just released album, “The Royal Scam.” Every song that followed knocked me out. And like so many other bands, I started going backwards. I bought the record before it, “Katy Lied,” and then the one before that, “Pretzel Logic.” That’s when I heard “Rikki” again, but in a different context. This was no AM radio, one hit wonder band. This was sophisticated pop music played with precision. So my first real memory of Steely Dan is sitting on the floor in my cousin’s bedroom, holding “The Royal Scam” cover and thinking, “My new favorite song is ‘Caves Of Altamira.”





MOTT THE HOOPLE:
It wasn’t “All The Young Dudes.” And it certainly wasn’t a song from the four Atlantic Records flops before it. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t any music at all. It was the “Mott” album cover. Ian Hunter’s hair and sunglasses. The Klieg lights. This album spoke to me from behind a wall of plexiglass housing hundreds of 8-tracks at the Happy Tunes record shop on West 8th Street in Greenwich Village. I recognized it from a review in Circus Magazine and based on nothing else, I knew I needed it. My Uncle’s then fiance Patricia bought it for me and I fell in love with the band from the opening piano chords of “All The Way From Memphis.” Then, hearing that song blasting out of Alfred Lutter’s speakers in “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore” validated the whole purchase.




ELVIS COSTELLO:
We all long for the “good old days,” though that could mean many different things, depending on who you are. So I will be very specific. I long for the good old days of WNEW-FM and the staff of DJs that included Richard Neer, Pete Fornatele, Meg Griffin, Scott Muni and of course, “The Nightbird,” Alison Steele. My radio was on every minute I was near it and WNEW-FM rarely disappointed. It was where I first heard Queen’s “A Night At The Opera” and Led Zeppelin’s “In Through The Out Door” played in their entirety. And it was also where I heard this unbelievable ballad that I thought was called “My Aim Is True.” I was lying in bed, stereo off, but my clock radio timer on so I could fall asleep to Alison Steele, and she played Elvis Costello’s “Alison.” I knew who he was from the photos in Trouser Press, but I expected the music to be as jarring as his looks, with those oversized black frames and that spastic stance. “Alison” was not that. When I went to Golden Disc records on Bleecker Street the next day, I asked for “My Aim Is True” by Elvis Costello and Michael, one of the clerks handed it to me, but I saw no title cut. After singing a few bars, he promised me it was the song called “Alison” on Side One. He was right, of course.



TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS:
I had a Friday evening ritual. Get my $10 allowance and hop on the E train to Chambers Street. I’d run across City Hall Park and make it to J&R Music World right before they closed at 6:30. Records in 1976 cost $3.69. J&R also had a cut out bin with records priced at $1.69, making two new releases and one cut out a few pennies under $10.00 after taxes. One of the managers was a guy named Al, who was friendly enough, if a bit abrasive. He got a kick out of this 12 year old kid who knew what I knew about music. He also teased me relentlessly about my purchases, not being a fan of Yes or Queen or Thin Lizzy, though he minded Lizzy less than the other two. On one early evening visit, I rushed down the flight of stairs, taking two or three steps at a time, and came face to face with Al, holding the first Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers album over his head, and marching around the tight quarters of the shop, shouting, “This is the greatest rock and roll band in the world! This is the greatest rock and roll band in the world!” My first thought was, “You’re saying that because it’s your band.” Al looked just like Petty, and at the time, I hadn’t heard of Tom Petty, so for a few minutes, I believed Al was Tom Petty. Wanting to impress this adult clerk, I asked to see the record.
“Is this you?” He gave me a crooked, “Go away kid, you bother me” look, but handed me the record and said, “Buy this. You won’t regret it.” I realized soon enough Al wasn’t Tom. Al was right. No regrets.

 









 

20 comments:

JD said...

You nailed my teenage years with this post. WNEW - especially Scott Muni and Allison Steele, J&R Music, Golden Disc Records and magazines like Circus and Trouser Press. I would love reprints of those magazines. I bought so much music based on those reviews. Thanks again.

cjbennett said...

I bought My Aim is True because I wanted to get something punk rock with my ten records for a penny from Columbia House. It wasn't punk, but was my favorite record out of the whole bunch. Still a big fan today!

Jobe said...

In San Diego back in 1976 I had seen ads and had read about The Ramones before the first album had come out. I remember going into "Licorice Pizza" and asking the clerk if they had "The Ramones" (the first album had not come out yet) he scoffed and shot me a look like, "What a dumbass for asking for this trash" I don't remember now where I eventually picked it up at, but I still have it.

ken49 said...

I too remember the thrill of hearing All the Way to Memphis opening Scorcese's Alice Doesn't Live Here. Scorcese knew his music.

buzzbabyjesus said...

The last thing I bought at J&R was Dennis Wilson's "Pacific Ocean Blue" CD, probably in the early '00's.

Your post brought back nostalgia for days long gone.
Even though I buy new music all the time, I'm old, and our music and culture has changed into something I like a lot less.

Buying vinyl records again helps. Thanks, Sal!

steve simels said...

You write too damn good, Sal I hate you.😎

Anonymous said...

Tom Petty put out great stuff his whole career, but those first two albums are so feral and idiosyncratic that they are far and away my favorite TP releases.
C in California

sloan wolf said...

That's poetry Sal. Thank you.

wardo said...

I fell asleep to 102.7 many nights thanks to my clock radio timer.

Anonymous said...

I so love this series.

Bruce H

hpunch said...

This is my new favorite Burning Wood feature. ( the MOTT album cover is what pulled me in as well)/

Anonymous said...

Boy, do I miss the days of $1.69 cut-outs!

Randy

jmills said...

Great writing Sal, you hit the nail on the head. I was lucky to grow up with great radio stations.First WMCA The Good Guys. My sister won that yellow sweatshirt, 77 WABC with Cousin Brucie & then all the free form stations NEW-FM, WPLR & WLIR on Long Island.I especially miss those all label sales @ EJ Korvettes.

Thanks for the interesting writings.

Mr. Baez said...

Such a universal music lover piece that you wrote here, Sal. I have two late at night staying up to hear spins that always came around 1:00am: BB King's "The Thrill Is Gone" and "Dear Jill" by Blodwyn Pig. Still get the same chills whenever I hear those two songs. Great writing here. Thank you.

Michael Giltz said...

Great post.

G said...

Weird... my first exposure to Mott the Hoople was also the Mott album, but the one with the other cover, the pink and white one with the guy's head (it's Augustus--I looked it up). I guess I knew their name already... I can't remember what would have otherwise made me buy that--such a terrible record cover!

I got it from the record guy that used to be at the Ave. I Flea Market. Guy looked like Frank Zappa.

M_Sharp said...

Another fine story, Sal! I remember Columbia House, but not the TV commercials, and I was with BMG for a while.

My friends weren’t into music like I was, so I had to rely on the radio and Rolling Stone, then Trouser Press. Steve Simels of Stereo Review, Dan DeLuca in the Philly Inquirer, and Jackson Griffith in the Tower Records magazine were very reliable writers. I bought most my records at EJ Korvettes, which had an amazing selection, much better than the local stores, which had some great stuff for a dollar or two in the cutout bins.

I lived in the Philly burbs, so I was fortunate to be able to listen to WMMR, WYSP, and WIOQ with DJs like Ed Sciaky, David Dye, Michael Tearson. Helen Liecht, and others. Jerry Blavat, Hy Lit, and Joe Niagra were still out there with the hitbound sounds on the AM dial.

MMR had the live concerts with Bruce, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, and Bonnie Raitt. I first heard the Ramones late one night on YSP. I saw the first two albums and they looked too weird to take a chance on. YSP had a late night show where they’d play an album all the way through, and one night it was “Rocket To Russia”. I couldn’t believe how great it was! I bought it, and the first two, as soon as I could.

Noel M said...

That's a cool story about 'Caves Of Altamira' being kind of an entryway into really getting into Steely Dan. MAN I love that song.

The moments when we learn about new music are so important, so unforgettable, especially early on.

kodak ghost said...

Excellent post. And Bridge of Sighs still gets me. Saw him on the promo tour in Leeds (UK). Id never heard of him before, but a (very sensible) girl I was with said I had to see him! No regrets.

dogbreath said...

I can go along with all of those firsts as they proved to be similar cathartic events for me (have to admit I've had to dig out "The Royal Scam" as I couldn't recall "The Caves of Altamira" track).
The one that really resonates for me to this day was Deep Purple's "In Rock" album: first hearing the "Black Night" single (massacred on my crappy little transistor radio), then being the first of my mates to get hold of the album with that iconic sleeve and displaying it to them like Perseus holding aloft the severed head of Medusa. Heady days indeed! The one LP that changed my musical tastes forever more. Cheers!