Sunday, March 31, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 3/23-3/29


 

Just Before You Leave- Del Amitri
One More Kiss- Paul McCartney & Wings
Life Has Just Begun- Spirit
Bonnie K- The Nice
Whispering Your Name- Jules Shear
The Yard Man- Bettye Crutcher
Fly- David Bowie

zip

Just Before You Leave- Del Amitri
This week sees a first time U.S. vinyl release of Del Amitri's "Twisted." Let's hope they continue the campaign with the next two, my absolute fave "Some Other Sucker's Parade" and the album where this excellent track can be found, "Can You Do Me Good?"

One More Kiss- Paul McCartney & Wings

One of so many deep cut pop gems from Mr. McCartney. I've come around to many solo Paul records that at first left me cold. But "Red Rose Speedway" still gives me trouble. I still dig it, but I also still have issues with half of it.

Life Has Just Begun- Spirit
"Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus" is one of those special albums that sneaks up on you if you're not paying attention. I hadn't listened in years and now I want to keep playing it for a while.

Bonnie K- The Nice

Found a number of Nice records in that 1200 LP collection I bought last week. "Autumn To Spring" is a solid collection of their psychier stuff.

Whispering Your Name- Jules Shear
Todd Rundgren produces Jules for a pop classic.

The Yard Man- Bettye Crutcher
"Written In Their Soul: The Stax Songwriter Demos" is a 7 CD set of rare and unreleased cuts from the Memphis vaults released last year, and a gift that keeps on giving. Check out the groove on this lost gem.

Fly- David Bowie
This one popped up on the iPod last week and I didn't recognize it, though I really loved it. Turns out to be a bonus track from the "Reality" sessions.

6 comments:

Noel M said...

Never heard of that Todd-produced tune - cool!

And Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

cmealha said...

I've always enjoyed Red Rose Speedway, with the exception of "Loup".

Allan Rosenberg said...

I found the only time Red Rose Speedway made sense and was highly enjoyable was when I'm extremely stoned. Otherwise I've found it dull and silly. So since it's been 27 year since I've indulged, I currently find it dull and silly.

I think Paul, Linda and Denny were very, very high when they recorded the album.

If and when I get stoned again I'll get back to you on how I feel about the album!

Currently extremely straight (and boring) Captain Al

Sal Nunziato said...

I too decided to go in again this afternoon. I agree with "dull," when describing the songs I don't like--"Get On The Right Thing," "When The Night," "Loup." I don't think it's as "silly" as some McCartney solo stuff. "Single Pigeon," "One More Kiss" and the medley all have bits of pop genius/quirkiness. "Little Lamb Dragonfly" is gorgeous. And I know people either love or hate "My Love." I love it and still think Henry McCulloch's guitar solo is one of the finest ever put to wax.

Allan Rosenberg said...

Sal:

You're right," Little Lamb Dragonfly" is gorgeous.

"My Love' is a wonderful song given a schmaltzy, goofy, loopy overlay which does it in for me. Yes it is fun and made sense when I was high but now in the straight world the same music sounds lost and overly spacey. You can smell the pot funky coming off the vinyl. :-) !

Old Man Captain Al

PS - I saw Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superatives (straight) last night. They were incredible. First time seeing them. Highly recommended.

Sal Nunziato said...

I've seen Marty three times. Always amazing!
Glad you got to see them.