Sunday, April 14, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 4/6-4/12

 


Mother's Little Helper- The Rolling Stones
Leave My Kitten Alone- The Beatles
I Am An Animal- Pete Townshend
Don't Talk- Charlie Hunter & Leon Parker
Nothing Doing- The John Sally Ride
Standing On Ceremony- Lou Reed
Nightingale- Detective

zip

Mother's Little Helper- The Rolling Stones
I found some old video on an external hard drive of what I believe was the very last rehearsal of The Hard Copies. We were set up in a different room than usual, a bright sunlit studio with a window at our backs, so all of the videos show the band in shadows. Kinda sucks, but the audio wasn't bad. We tackled this one from the Stones, and so that's where we begin.

Leave My Kitten Alone- The Beatles

One of Lennon's greatest lead vocals!

I Am An Animal- Pete Townshend
My friend Derek and I were talking about how great "Empty Glass" is and how great this song is.

Don't Talk- Charlie Hunter & Leon Parker
A stunning cover of the "Pet Sounds" gem. I highly recommend the entire "Duo" album.

Nothing Doing- The John Sally Ride
An oldie but a goodie. I loved singing the harmony on this one.

Standing On Ceremony- Lou Reed

Whenever I mention Lou Reed, either back in the days of NYCD or on social media now, my friend always needs to say. "Growing Up In Public is Lou's best record." I laugh at him and that's that. I decided to finally play it forty years later. I remembered none of it and somehow thought it was a stinker. It's not. It's also NOT his best, but it is a solid record. I owe my friend an apology.

Nightingale- Detective
This record blew my teenage mind when it came out and it still holds up. I love the way this song shifts gears. The second half really cooks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not familiar with the Hunter/Parker Duo album - sounds like a keeper. Disappointed there's no vinyl available.

John does kill the vocal on Kitten, though it's tough to beat Little Willie's original.

Never have spent much time with Detective - listened to the Atlantic Studios release once or twice. Enjoyed the track you posted, so I'll give it a spin.

Great mix, thanks as always!

Randy

Tinpot said...

Apart from the Stones, most of these were un/not very -familiar. The John Sally Ride song sounds quite at home in that company (the harmonies were great!) Well done!

Anonymous said...

I ended up listening to Growing Up In Public after the discussion over at Now Playing, and agree with your assessment. It sounded better than I remembered. Not quite up to the standards of the three albums that follow it, but very good nevertheless.

Bill

Noel M said...

Thanks a lot for these SOTW mixes - I enjoy them every time!