Sunday, July 21, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 7/13-7/19

 


Stick Out Your Tongue- Elvis Costello & The Roots
What We All Want- Gang Of Four
Cracked Actor- David Bowie
Sinner Man- Peter Tosh
Don't Let Go- The Orlons
Water Pump- Bongo Herman
End Title- David Shire

zip

Stick Out Your Tongue- Elvis Costello & The Roots
(If memory serves, I liked this collaboration more than most of you. After a long lay off, it sounded even better to me. Not just this track, but the whole record.)

What We All Want- Gang Of Four
(From their second album, something about the riff and the drumming feels like a LZ "Physical Graffiti" demo...at least that's what made me love it in 1981.)

Cracked Actor- David Bowie

(Mick Ronson!)

Sinner Man- Peter Tosh

(Very early Peter Tosh, right around the time of the first Wailing Wailers album in '66. A great arrangement. Let it play.)

Don't Let Go- The Orlons

(I first heard this on a Jeff Lynne solo album, unaware of the earlier hit by Roy Hamilton. I thought Lynne's cover was better, but then I recently discovered this version by the Orlons, which beats both.)

Water Pump- Bongo Herman

(Yes, two reggae tracks in one mix. Oh no!)

End Title- David Shire
(The 70's gave us some of the greatest films of all time, and I might add, some of the greatest film scores. Isaac Hayes, Lalo Schifrin, Jerry Goldsmith and this end title by David Shire from 1974's "Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3." I think this really cooks.)

5 comments:

steve simels said...

The Pelham end title -- wow.

Noel M said...

Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

Oh YES! One of my fave Wailers tracks, full of foreboding, and a dub track I wasn't familiar with; both top tunes. And that Orlons song is a cracker, not to be confused with Bowie's Cracked Actor (which I coulda sworn I already had, but luckily I checked before deleting your set, so NOW I do have it).
One o' my fave of your weekly comps. Keep it up!
C in California

Anonymous said...

Good God, not more reggae!!! :)

Randy

... really diggin' the James Cotton you sent.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, more reggae!

Also, I know "Don't Let Go" from Asleep at the Wheel's “Western Standard Time” LP, so I always assumed it was an old Nashville track. Looks more likely that they borrowed it from Commander Cody (like many other tracks on that album), but so many folks have done it: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/17357/all

Thanks for another great set of songs!