Friday, September 13, 2024

Meet the Beatles Again

 


A new box is coming in November featuring seven U.S. Beatles albums all released in 1964. Check out the video above if you're interested.

I am interested. I will always be interested.

Here's why.

Two conversations took place this week. One was with my friend Michael, as we discussed, yet again, new music versus old, good versus bad, and why we need to stop comparing everything to The Beatles.

Michael: “Saying it isn’t as good as the Beatles is not a useful metric for music, at least not for me."

I agree. But our conversation was more than that.

Me: "Music of the last 25 years simply isn't as good as it was between 1955-1995, and I included the 90's just to be nice." 

People seem to get very defensive about music in the last 25 years. Everyone always needs to point out the 10-20 solid artists they love, which is great.

"Have you heard so and so?"

Maybe the metric shouldn't be "as good as The Beatles" but instead "here's some music that isn't awful." The bar is so low, people glom onto anything that doesn't outright suck. That's worse than comparing artists to The Beatles or Aretha or the Stones. It's delusional. 

It's not about enjoying pop music. It's about recognizing the difference between well made records and poorly made records. You can love both. Just stop trying to sell mediocre as exceptional and maybe people will stop bringing up The Beatles and the Stones.

The other conversation was with a few strangers on social media, after I saw this pretty unfunny meme posted. (Sorry for the blurry pic. Enlarge if you need to.)


I understand the joke there, it's just really poor execution. But more important is that there are people, and I use that term loosely, on social media, who claim to love music but think this meme is an accurate description of The Beatles. A few too many think this is how The Beatles sound- a goofy, love sick boy band who took drugs a few years after they began and started writing psychedelic gibberish. Okay, that's not completely untrue. But you probably shouldn't be waxing Liverpool after admitting to only "knowing a few Beatles songs," one of which is "Imagine."

Right now, the fanatics are up to 75 pages of discussion on the Steve Hoffman forum about this new Beatles box, ruminating over mixes and other minutiae. I love these guys. That's what music should do to you. 

As press time, there are the cynics calling this $300 box a cash grab, though you don't have to buy the set. You could buy the records individually at $30 a pop. I don't think it's a cash grab. Multiple color variants, with a different bonus track for each country and alternate art are all cash grabs. A new way of hearing great music is not a cash grab. For some, like those social media Beatles mockers, this could be the very first time they experience this amazing music. Though, my gut feeling is that they couldn't care less.

There needs to be a middle ground, somewhere between "all new music sucks because it isn't as good as The Beatles" and "Just listen to any old crap and let the kids have fun." I do believe the less the younger generation pays attention to musical history, the worse music is going to get. 

I once said this to a customer many years ago. He laughed in my face, but then a few days later, came back to apologize, saying, "The more I thought about what you said, the more it made sense." I believe the subject was Jessica Simpson and her new CD which I thought was crap.

I said, "If you bring home a new puppy and it pees on the couch, you need to stop him. If you coddle him, and just chalk it up to the pup's inexperience, he'll continue to pee on the couch. No one got angry, so the puppy thinks it's okay."





13 comments:

Allan Rosenberg said...

My eight year old granddaughter's two favorite musical acts are Taylor Swift & The Grateful Dead. She bangs on a guitar (knows 3 chords), a keyboard and a harmonica.

I'm taking her to see Rosanne Cash/John Leventhal in concert tomorrow night.

I think she's off to a good start.

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

So, my take on the 'better-then-than-now' thing is a couple things.
1) Rock was part of a zeitgeist (post-war, youth culture, social change, etc), not just a soundtrack to folks' life. That isn't to say it wasn't background music for some, maybe even many, but it served a larger function. That doesn't happen all the time, and certainly not for awhile.
2) Since the form was being invented as it was produced, and (crucially) there were some incredible artists inventing it in front of us, it by definition will be more exciting and important than that produced by those down the line. It's taken for granted, on some level, but extraordinary to me that the folks pushing the art form (yes, it is an art form, as is country music and rap; sorry jazz, you don't get that exclusive claim) were also some of the biggest sellers of their time. That situation hasn't been part of the equation to a great deal for a long, long time. A Dylan or Beatles or Hendrix coming out today, I think, wouldn't get near as far as they should, and back then they were selling busloads.
This isn't a knock on what sells these days. It's just a fact that the longer something's been around, the tougher it is to make it new and groundbreaking and refreshing to those steeped in it.
C in California

steve simels said...

You are wise, Capt. Al. 😎

Guy Incognito said...

That puppy analogy is excellent

Pete said...

This is a "yes/and." YES, the 1950s through the '70s (or later, if you like — I'd argue that the '80s and '90s should be included) were an unparalleled time of creation and innovation in pop music. AND we are old farts who, through no fault of our own, listen to new music through "Does it sound like the stuff I grew up on?" ears.

And the Beatles are my all-time favorite band, but I still thought that meme was hysterical.

Sal Nunziato said...

To be clear, I wasn't offended by the meme. I just thought it could have been funnier.

Anonymous said...

it helps me to think of the Beatles as four aliens from outer space. Is Jessica Simpson supposed to be the puppy or are we? either way, i can't tell if you've had a puppy. by and large, they're easily trained.

Jonathan F. King said...

I sent notice of this release to a few other geezer Beatle fans I know, saying it was comforting to learn that a new generation will have the chance to argue about who the lead vocalist is on "Devil in Her Heart." It may seem clear now, but let me assure you ...

Allan Rosenberg said...

The controversy of the American Beatle Albums will never be settled! I kind of like it that way.
We who grew up with first the American then later the British versions treasure them both ways.

Captain Al

Captain Al

lemonflag said...

$300 for music I have owned for 60 years seems a little like a money grab.

Michael Giltz said...

Allan, good job w raising your kid. Excellent start. I have NEVER heard the American version of the Beatles. I went from cassettes of the later albums right to the CD release of the "proper" albums. Whenever I look at the track lists of the American versions, it hurts me head though I can easily understand why anyone would treasure this music in the order they heard it.

Michael Giltz said...

Pop music is absolutely not the gob-smacking delight it was in the 1950s to 1970s (w a generous nod to the 1980s and 1990s). Yet, I still get excited by new acts. I make my little lists of albums I like and I NEVER include someone (certainly not in my top 10) unless I think it's great. If there are only four great movies in a year, then I list four. If there are 17, I list 17. Same with music. But NO QUESTION it was a golden era. And every young person who's into music, if they like TK, I immediately say oh you should listen to this! Taylor Swift fan? Meet Joni Mitchell and Carole King and Dolly Parton and Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac. That's music appreciation 101. Heck, I did it. Like the Beatles and Led Zep? meet all these r&b and blues and country acts that THEY love. I love everybody. And sorry about peeing on the couch. I got excited!

Sal Nunziato said...

I imagine $12 can feel like a money grab when all music can be downloaded for free. But relatively speaking, a remastered Beatles record on high quality vinyl, with audio sounding arguably better than ever, possibly different in places, at $29.99 is more than fair in 2024. If you did drop $300 on the box, the price makes each individual record $39.99, but also comes with a hardcover book and slipcase. (The box is definitely for completists.) But $39.99 is what today's pop stars like Taylor, and Chappell Roan and Gaga get for color variants. Personally, I don't need a hard copy of every single album I love. But I prefer hard copies of all my favorites and for me, these US Beatles releases are exciting. $29.99 for a first time remastered "Meet The Beatles" or "The Beatles' Second Album" is more than reasonable in today's market.