Monday, October 14, 2024

Henry The Human Fly




Henry The Human Fly (1972) Richard Thompson

During my high school sophomore year, a well read musician, and record fiend classmate turned me onto the whole late 60's-early 70's British folk scene, so I knew of Richard Thompson through Fairport Convention. He left them to go solo in 1972, and recorded this incredible debut. When the album was released, he was accused of an inability to sing and has since stated that it was the worst selling album in the Warner Bros catalog. Conversely Mojo counted "Henry The Human Fly" as one of the hundred greatest guitar albums ever produced.
I borrowed my friends cut-out copy and rendered it to cassette. On the other side, I put his and then wife Linda's debut "I Wanna See The Bright Lights Tonight" (1974). It was in my car stereo for the entire Summer of 1978. Both occupy the top tier of my all time favorite albums. I never actually owned a copy of "Henry" until special ordering a CD in the late '90's from Sal at NYCD. It was the only record on my Discogs 'want list', and I finally found this affordable copy ($45) last week while putting together the 30 albums for this list. The back of the album cover is damaged, otherwise it would be closer to $100. Fortunately it has just the kind of relic'd patina I like, and the near mint original Island Records vinyl inside sounds fantastic.
Richard Thompson is still out there making solid albums, but for me, each one after "Henry", and "Bright Lights" is slightly dimmer in it's level of uniqueness and excitement.








-BBJ

2 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

"Buzzbabyjesus" sounds like a song title Richard Thompson might use! Always delighted to hear people who love his work, though your final comment that everything after the classic album I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight has been diminishing returns sent my blood pressure soaring! :) I've always seen Henry The Human Fly as sort of a dry run leading up to Bright Lights, but it does indeed have great songs. I would argue his body of work is wildly impressive, from Pour Down Like Silver and Shoot Out The Lights w Linda onto his many great solo albums. His latest Ship to Shore is excellent. He doesn't venture into new territory or reinvent himself. Like Faulkner or James Joyce, he found his small patch of ground and tends it diligently. That's enough for me.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I like "Ship To Shore". I said he still makes solid albums, and I don't dislike any I've heard, but if I was only going to have one, it would be the two I mentioned. And "Hokey Pokey", and "Pour Down Like Silver". The Island Years.