Sunday, October 27, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 10/19-10/25

 


Club Nitty Gritty- Chuck Berry
When I'm Gone- Brenda Holloway
So Long- Fischer-Z
Hold Out Your Hand- Chris Squire
Pushin' Forward Back- Temple of The Dog
Whan Bam Thank You Man- Small Faces
Me & The Girls- Amyl & The Sniffers

zip

Club Nitty Gritty- Chuck Berry
(It's 1966, Chuck's on a new label, and he delivers the filthiest groove of his career.)

When I'm Gone- Brenda Holloway

(A Top 40 hit for Holloway, but it might as well be a deep cut. I didn't recognize it when I heard it, but I did love it.)

So Long- Fischer-Z

(Way back when there was no Shazam or Google, I heard this gem on the radio and spent weeks trying to track it down.)

Hold Out Your Hand- Chris Squire
(First track from the Yes bassist's first solo album, with a bass line to die for and some pretty solid drumming from Bill Bruford. The melody is damn good, too.)
 

Pushin' Forward Back- Temple of The Dog
(These guys had no idea they were in a supergroup when they convened for this tribute to fellow Seattle grunger Andrew Wood. I am a fan of Chris Cornell, Soundgarden, Green River, and a number of Pearl Jam albums. But this one-off takes the cake.)

Wham Bam Thank You Mam- Small Faces

(This rocks hard, more like an Atlantic era Mott the Hoople track than a mid-60's Small Faces track.)

Me & The Girls- Amyl & The Sniffers
(From the new album and their best yet. I dig this band. But Amy can be a bit much. Good new record, especially when Amy does Penelope Houston. But when she does her Poly Styrene, it can grate.)

No comments: