A stellar Mojo review led me to "Yearnalism," the new record by Baby Rose. This is her third record, but as per usual, it's the first I am hearing of her. And guess what? She's playing three nights in August at Madison Square Garden.
But I digress.
At first, I was put off by her voice, which is a little too affected, though it does work on some tunes. I was ready to take it off by track three, but something about it kept me listening. In the end, I really liked it. A lot.
It's different, that's for sure. Maybe you'll hear what I am hearing.
12 comments:
"Guess what? She's playing three nights in August at Madison Square Garden." Hahahahaha. That's funny. :) Happens to us all.
I enjoyed the album. And it seems she’s playing four nights at MSG. Lol
I tried out the first three tracks a few days ago and these three here. Same result both times: didn’t get through a single song. Well-crafted pop for people who like her voice. That said, she’s not as vocally weird as Leon Redbone. Need to play Bone Machine to cleanse my ears :-)
Today’s cover is very tasty.
- Paul in DK
I second the tasty of today's cover.
Disparaging Leon Redbone - Thems fightin' words! RIP Leon.
rs
Not my cuppa, although she can sing, and the first two songs have a sort of modern day 70s Memphis vibe which is not unpleasant.
Sounds good! Not really my thing, but has quality.
Hey, I just heard this preview track from a Lenny Kaye album coming out next week - apparently he's never put out a solo record yet (!). Just wanted to share so that someone knows it's coming out - I'm going to pre-order.
https://www.roughtrade.com/en-us/product/lenny-kaye/goin-local
I was unimpressed after the first 2 tracks and then "is This Love" grabbed me by the throat. The album continues from this point on in full R&B mode with great tunes and gorgeous arrangements and production. The latest addition to my top 10 albums of the year.
She is not my style at my age (Joni, Laura,Rickie Lee)
but vibing back to my college days I understand how she has caught those 20 years old ears.
I listened - meh. Didn't know of her before you posted. The sole positive I get from her music is that at least its not reggaeton.
To be fair she is not headling Madison Square Garden, she is opening for Olivia Dean. I haven't heard her music either.
Excellent! A great find, many thanks.
Post a Comment