Friday, July 24, 2026

"Who's Power Poppin'": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


You saw this coming.

I tweaked it just a bit from yesterday's tune stack. I've used stereo and mono mixes, as well as a single version or two, and I swapped out "It's Not True" for "Glow Girl."

I listened again last night and I'm loving it.

Hope you will, too.

 

TRACKLIST

The Kids Are Alright
Our Love Was
Man With Money 
Happy Jack
Pictures Of Lily
Much Too Much
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
So Sad About Us
Early Morning Cold Taxi
La-La-La Lies
Glow Girl
I'm Free
I Can't Reach You
Substitute
Disguises
I Can't Explain

 

HERE 

 

25 comments:

soundsource said...

danke schoen (or however you say thank you in German)

Anonymous said...

You have totally nailed it Sal!

Captain Al

Michael Giltz said...

I TOTALLY saw this coming! I did!

JAYESSEMM said...

Great stuff Sal -- many thanks!

And I love the artwork; Roger looks like a little girl :-)

JD said...

This is superb - great effort. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

First time caller, longer time listener...Thanks a bunch!!

George said...

Thanks, Sal. Superb.

Guy Incognito said...

Thank you!!!!

Yiannis/John said...

Thanks a lot, Sal. It's a great playlist! By the way, can I ask a question? Would you consider most of Paul McCartney's solo efforts (Jet, Too Many People, etc) as Power Pop? Also the inputs of 10CC and Sparks? Power Pop is one of my favorite genres but I can't really define it. What would your definition be? Thank again!

Anonymous said...

Even in his old age Roger still acts occasionally like a little girl.

Captain Al

Sal Nunziato said...

It's a great question and I think all lovers of music will have a different answer. For me, power pop needs to be consistent- meaty, melodic, upbeat, preferably guitar based but not always necessary.

10cc & Sparks are two of my favorite bands, but they are all over the place stylistically.

McCartney certainly has songs that'd be considered power pop, but as an artist, I'd say no.



pmac said...

Great comp. Many thanks!

Yiannis/John said...

Thanks for your answer Sal. I now understand that it's much more complicated than I thought. Still, good music is good music, no matter what we call it.

cmealha said...

Thanks for doing the work for me. Much appreciated.

iamjethro said...

Like it!

Anonymous said...

Sal, what's your favorite song from The Who's weekend mix?

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

I could swear you asked me this yesterday and I could swear I responded.
So weird.
"The Kids Are Alright" is one of my favorite songs of all time by anybody, so that.

dogbreath said...

That mix is a bit of all right, thanks for zipping it up. All these years never put "Happy Jack" in the power pop bag, even though I live where Jack did - not in the sand obviously, but often accused of having my head in it. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

This topic has shown that each of us has a different definition of what “PowerPop” is.

Captain Al

Bob Aurora said...

Thank you, Sal.

Anonymous said...

Don't know about Jacks P/P credentials but bought "...Miles" when it came out on 45, flipped it to the other side - Happy Jack. It has been a fan favorite for 59 years

Sal Nunziato said...

My 45 of Happy Jack in the US had "Whiskey Man" on the b-side and other countries had "I've Been Away." "I Can See For Miles" had "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand."

Dr Wu said...

Is the definitive example of The Who in Power Pop mode “So Sad About Us”? It seems to have everything. And the covers by The Jam (a tribute to the recently passed Keith Moon) and The Breeders are great. Thanks again for the playlist. :)

Anonymous said...

Sal: This is pretty fab and mod, all at the same time. Thanks, Michael D.

Noel M said...

Despite what they're known for by most - hard rock, big ballads, concept albums - they really were (and I guess still are?) such a great power pop band when they wanted to be.