Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Pippin'

 


8 comments:

Rob said...

I was lucky enough to see them as part of a Motown Summer tour package in '68 along side The Temptations & The Four Tops. What a way to spend an afternoon

paulinca said...

Pippin' ain't easy! I'm very glad Questlove's "Summer of Soul" gave us more footage of Gladys and her boys tearing it up in Harlem in 1969.

steve simels said...

If you've never seen this, prepare to laugh yer ass off. The Pips sans Gladys on the brilliant but short-lived Richard Pryor show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0bot4-qmM

Anonymous said...

GK and the Pips deserved more respect in their day. Her Motown material contained some gems, but Imagination on Buddha is my personal favorite, which I return to regularly. CJ

Rob said...

I was watching "The Last Stop In Yuma" today and - Midnight Train To Georgia.
Synchronicity 😉

jeff said...

Jeez, the stone cold faces in the audience really tells you something about those shows back then. I bet they roared in laughter to Bob Hope and Joey Heatherton..

Sal Nunziato said...

That was my very first thought.

jeff said...

She was in Norfolk in '72. There's a huge Naval base there, and I'm guessing from all the sailor suits in what seems like a white crowd that's where she was.