Friday, October 24, 2008

"ALL THE RAGE": THE WEEKEND MIX-FROM ME TO YOU #7


Last weekend's mix, specifically the US single mix of "Alison," gave me an idea for this weekend's mix.

Ya ever just over do it? Too much...something? I do this with certain artists. I'll see an amazing live performance, then spend the next week playing nothing but that artist, until I finally can't listen to that artist anymore. This happened with Elvis Costello, except that the shows that did it for me were 22 years ago--5 nights on Broadway---and I have never been the same since. I'm quite confident that I will never experience a more exciting and inspiring string of performances than that week in October at the Broadway Theatre in 1986.

That said, I've been listening to Elvis Costello consistently since 1977 and gluttonously since those nights in '86. I am running out of material. That's not easy to do with someone as prolific as Elvis. I mean, this is a guy who has explored everything from classical to jazz standards to punk rock and country, and devoted an entire album to a noodle house in Manhattan. Countless reissues with bonus tracks, you'd think you'd never run out of stuff to listen to. Well, I had had enough of the "Home Truth (Calypso Mix)," so I put together something that I think is...ahem...all the rage.

So here is something fresh...I hope. Some oddball tracks from singles, TV shows, live concerts, demos, Japanese pressings and more. Hopefully some of it is new to you.


ALL THE RAGE:


THE ONLY FLAME IN TOWN (DEMO)

UNWANTED NUMBER (LIVE 96)


DON'T THROW YOUR LOVE AWAY


SO LIKE CANDY


IMPATIENCE


DON'T MAKE ME OVER


WHAT DO YOU WANT THE GIRL TO DO (LIVE W/ ALLEN TOUSSAINT)


CHANGED THE LOCKS (w/LUCINDA WILLIAMS)


THE GREATEST LOVE


BRILLIANT MISTAKE (LIVE '87)


WILD NIGHT (LIVE 2008)


BEAUTIFUL



SOME HIGHLIGHTS:


The acoustic demo from McCartney/McManus

The CMT Crossroads duet with Lucinda

The Japanese bonus track from "North," which sounds more like something that belongs on "Pet Sounds."

And...EC's version of a song he wrote for the film "Grace Of My Heart." In his words, "It's like 'Papa Don't Preach' in reverse." You may be familiar with "Unwanted Number" either by "For Real," the R&B group who did such a fine job for the film soundtrack, or from Costello bootlegs. I had the pleasure, and that is an understatement, of seeing Costello and Miss Rosanne Cash perform together at the Rubin Museum in NYC, one of the toughest tickets ever. You can read my review HERE, which I snagged from Rosanne Cash's blog which she snagged from Altercation. Every moment of that show was a highlight, but none quite as satisfying as "Unwanted Number." It killed me.

ZIP FILE IS HERE.

As a bonus, here are a few tracks from those amazing nights on Broadway.

I WANT YOU- 10/21/86
KING MIDAS IN REVERSE- 10/22/86
POP LIFE- 10/24/86

Please enjoy. Buy CDs. Support your artists. And enjoy your weekend.

9 comments:

cmealha said...

And the winner is ....
So Like Candy
What a great version!

Always thought that Impatience was the best track to come out of the North sessions.
I understand why it didn't make it on to the album. With a few exceptions, North was a bit boring and this would have been too startling in the midst of all that.

I kinda liked the take on Beautiful as well. Not sure why though.

NYCD Online said...

I officially overdosed on Costello when I listened to an advance copy of "The River In Reverse" about 340 times in a row a couple of years ago, and I've barely listened to anything of his since. But this mix might just bring me back into the E.C. fold. You've outdo'd yourself on this one. Thank you.

Sal Nunziato said...

Hey NYCD Online, when you say "when I listened to," what you really mean is "when Sal made me listen to," yes?

Plus I think it was 428 times.

Thanks for reading.

NYCD Online said...

I checked the official records. I listened to it on my own 92 times, you made me listen to it 216 times, and Rob Eichel asked "What is this?" 173 times.

allen vella said...

great mix, always been one of my top "most well loved, listened to, seen, gotta hear everything- see every show" artist...so naturally i loved this mix ..and i remember the broadway nights very well..i think i went to 4 shows, never heard anything from them so another big bonus.
and boz scaggs ...listen to the rythym guitar playing on Sailor...one of my favorite albums, and probably steve millers best, imho.

pattirules said...

hey sal i would love this can you re-up? esp don't make me over- wow- and thanks again!

Sal Nunziato said...

Pattirules,

Put your mailing address in a comment. I won't post it. It will be easier to send you a hard copy than to reconstruct and reup.

pattirules said...

you dont happen to have an audio rip of costello/bacharach at sessions at west 54 st do ya?

Sal Nunziato said...

Yes on the Sessions. E-mail address? Easier to communicate.