Monday, November 10, 2008

John Doe & Kathleen Edwards



Friday night's concert in Zankel Hall below Carnegie Hall with John Doe and Kathleen Edwards was about as entertaining as an evening gets. Full details in my review can be found over at Altercation.

I will say this here, though. It is truly special when a performer can be so engaging between songs that the singing almost becomes the bonus. Jules Shear, Rosanne Cash, Richard Thompson, James McMurtry, and Gillian Welch are a few of those special people who come to mind.

Then there are those, some of my favorite artists who I have seen an embarrassing number of times in fact, whose in between song banter is so clumsy, it often incites douche chills. No need to name drop, I have too much respect for these people.

I'd like to add John Doe & Kathleen Edwards to the former list. Amazing storytellers in and out of song, this dynamic duo absolutely killed on Friday night.

The video above, courtesy of some very bold stranger, is the gorgeous opener from that very show. Kind of amazing, since security wouldn't let my wife bring in her umbrella. I especially like the 3:13 mark of the video. I think someone at the concession stand in the lobby above, may have been heating up some coffee in the microwave.

1 comment:

bartender to the stars said...

Thanks for the clip Sal , it really made my day !