Thursday, January 15, 2009

Loudon Wainwright III's "MOTEL BLUES"


While I continue to obsess over the miracle that is "Spectacle," Elvis Costello's sober version of a drunken music snob's night out with the boys, I thought I'd obsess about something else until next week's episode airs. Last night's guest on "Spectacle" was Rufus Wainwright, a singer-songwriter who many adore and just as many find as pleasant as nails on a blackboard. I belong to the former group. But this is not about Rufus. It is about his dad, Loudon Wainwright III.

For too many years, my only exposure to Loudon Wainwright III was as the singing patient on early episodes of M*A*S*H*, so I thank Rufus for the many times he's mentioned his dad during his live performances. Being a fan of Rufus made me explore the music of Loudon.

I have only just scratched the surface, but I am feeling as if I could just pluck any song from any Loudon record from any period of his career, and it would blow me away.

"Motel Blues" is a song from 1971's "Album II," a song also covered by Big Star. This version is from Wainwright's 2008 release "Recovery," an album that revisits his earlier material.

Listen HERE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out "Last Man On Earth"