Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Potpourri




I didn't have a great week and though the weekend ended on a high note, it wasn't one of the best in recent memory either. I did get to see the powerful and often hilarious Yasmina Reza/Christopher Hampton play "God Of Carnage." I'd tell you all about it, but I'm not allowed to until July 18th, something about me being long-winded and the play being only 85 minutes, therefore my explanation might actually run longer than the play itself. The comment was said with love behind it...I think.. so I will comply. No review here.

I was moved by many things this weekend and woke up this morning unsatisfied with choosing just one.

There's the great website OLD JEWS TELLING JOKES, which I urge all of you, young or old, Jew or not a Jew, to check out.
See SCHMUCK below for a taste.

SCHMUCK


Then there was the music. Weekends usually find me alternating between new releases and the classics I love most. Sunday afternoon was devoted to Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy, a man and a poet I still miss, and his band who I strongly feel were misunderstood and unfairly lumped into all the wrong categories; glam, heavy metal and one hit wonders for starters. Please enjoy two songs that gave me the most pleasure this weekend.






DEAR LORD
MUSIC & LYRICS by PHIL LYNOTT

Dear Lord this is a prayer
Just let me know if you're really there
Dear Lord come gain control
Oh Lord come save my soul

Give me dignity restore my sanity
Oh Lord come rescue me
Dear Lord my vanity is killing me
Oh Lord it's killing me, it's killing me

If you give your soul to heaven
And your soul begins to bleed
Remember all the sevens
Don't turn up when you need

If you do believe in glory
Then please believe a fact
Give your soul to heaven
You won't get it back

I'm down deep and I need your help
There's no one to turn to and I can't help myself
Dear Lord hear this call
Oh Lord save my fall

I'm scared I doubt
Dear Lord help me out
I despair my Lord my prayer my Lord
Care my Lord

Dear Lord take the time
I believe your story now you believe mine
Oh Lord I'm on my knees
Oh Lord please please beware

My Lord oh care my Lord
Give me dignity
Restore my sanity
My vanity is killing me

If you give your soul to heaven
And your soul begins to bleed
Remember all the sevens
Don't turn up when you need

If you do believe in glory
Then please believe a fact
Give your soul to heaven
You won't get it back




I also listened to the new Levon Helm and the new Cheap Trick. You can read full reviews of both, later this week on ALTERCATION, where right now week, you can read my thoughts on the new GEORGE HARRISON compilation.

(Oh shit! Michael Jackson died! Has anyone seen this?)

And finally, some more Ian Hunter! I spent Saturday morning alternating between the classic "Mott" album and his 2001 solo classic "Rant." (Still can't believe he is 70 years old.) Here are two videos, one with the late, great Mick Ronson and one with the later, great Craig Ferguson.





I think that covers it.

No comments: