Friday, February 19, 2010

"February Obsessions" : THE WEEKEND MIX





I'm afraid the theme of this Weekend Mix is nothing more than what I've been listening to. I tend to latch onto a handful of songs, and just play them until I can play them no more. I've done this recently with "The Golden State" by John Doe & Kathleen Edwards, "Girls In Their Summer Clothes" by Bruce Springsteen and I see it about to happen with "Little Lion Man" by Mumford & Sons. (Look that record up and dive in. It's killing me.)



TRACK LIST


Bus Stop - Fountains Of Wayne
(faithful cover by one of my favorite bands of one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands)

The Night I Heard A Scream - 20/20

(from "Look Out," a lost power pop classic)

Action - The Sweet

(you all know this, but do you really? as my friend Bobby says, "I can't believe how much is going on in this song.")

Everything Will Never Be Ok - Fiction Plane

(loved this record by Sting's son Joe Sumner and band. went nowhere and it should have. I think he sounds just like his dad...when his dad wasn't a dick...that week.)

All Night Long - The Animals

(The Animals do Zappa who was really doing the blues.)

Wilson Joliet- John Cale

(from my second favorite John Cale album, the long unavailable and so brilliant "Honi Soit")

Girl (Instrumental) - The Beatles

(don't get excited. this is a fake instrumental, but I love it nonetheless.)

Poison Love - Johnnie & Jack
(love Doug Sahm's version. love Buddy Miller's even more. love the recent Soundstage duet between Buddy and Shawn Colvin even more. here is the original. love that, too)

Hickory Wind- Keith Richards

(from a Gram Parsons Tribute DVD. where's that new Keef solo album?)

Come To Realise - Ron Wood

(can't think of a shittier sounding record than Ron Wood's "Gimme Some Neck," but it does have some killer stuff on it)

Golden - A Girl Called Eddy
(GORGEOUS! another record you need to search out and listen to. and where the hell are YOU, Eddy?)

Keep On Tryin' - Poco

(never knew this song until I saw Timothy B. Schmit, Todd Rundgren and Dave Edmunds do it on a Ringo Starr All-Starrs tour.)

Angel Come Home - The Beach Boys
(miss you Dennis.)

Where The Boys Are - Get Wet

(I know I saw these guys at The Ritz in 1982 and I know Paul Shaffer had something to do with them. Oh, I remember the album being on "Boardwalk Records." That's all I know.)

Don't Hang Up - 10cc
(I once sang this whole song in Washington Square park with an old friend Lisa, who knew every word to every 10cc song. The guys playing chess were not amused.)

ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND

ZIP FILE

18 comments:

Todd said...

I saw Mumford and Son on Letterman... and had the exact same reaction!

steve simels said...

Well, obviously you had me from the Fountains of Wayne "Bus Stop" cover.

JAYESSEMM said...

Chess players with no sense of humour -- or music! Go figure.

Another wonderful mix Sal.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear the rest of the Mumford and Sons CD--love Little Lion Man!

"February Obsessions"--what a great title!

big bad wolf said...

i've been there with "golden state," replaying it over and over. it's an amazing song.

you're dead on about gimme some neck

jeff said...

wow, haven't thought of get wet for about thirty years. I think I saw them with the rubinoos in 1980 or so at that basement club at columbus and 70th. if I recall correctly, the rubinoos kind of blew them away.

Anonymous said...

The Rubinoos! I haven't thought about THEM in 30 years. Growing up in Northern California, I saw them open for almost literally every new wave act that came to town in the late 70s/early 80s. Must have seen them like a dozen times. Always pretty great, even when you were really there to see the B-52s.

Sal, where did that "Bus Stop" cover come from?

Bruce Handy

cmealha said...

A Girl Called Eddy is one of the most memorable albums of the last decade. Where is she indeed! Did she go to dinner with the Dufrenes?

misospecial said...

yay! excellent obsessions. happy weekend, sal.

misospecial said...

triplets! i love this number.

Sal Nunziato said...

Bruce,

I have it on someone else's homemade collection of FOW rarities. I think it was from that TV show "American Dreams."

Unknown said...

I do love that Sweet track and its consistent effect of sucking me into the whole little opera. Thanks, Sal!

steves said...

Was this version of "Girl" OOPS'ed? Sure sounds like the original backing track to me.

Great mix. Thanks!

Meanstreets said...

'Preciate you thinking of me on " holiday " with Gram Parson's " Hickory Wind "...........as I am thinking of you with your " Who Dat " mix.

Sal Nunziato said...

Something waiting for you in your mailbox when you get back, Mr. Streets.

Meanstreets said...

Thanks as always Sal....

And I have a seashell for you !!!

Meanstreets said...

A little history lesson....1968, Catholic school, of course, a lot of bad R & R circulating...I heard The Byrd's " Sweetheart of the Rodeo " including " Hickory Wind ". That was the begining of Meanstreets going against the grain.. I was hooked & became an " outcast "...thanks to Gram, Roger McGuinn, Chris Hillman & my Austin friend, Earl Poole Ball, who I will see there in less than a month. ( and remind him of this story everytime we converse )

wool said...

Get Wet's myspace page (who woulda thunk)...always loved Morton Street