Friday, January 21, 2011

"Let The Games Begin" : THE WEEKEND MIX


Yesterday, the official line-up announcement was made for the 2011 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. What this means for many is...nothing. Just another musical festival, with too many people, crappy food, and bad vibes. (Aaah, what do they know?)

Some of us "Fest Obsessives" have been waiting for this announcement since we first stepped onto the Fairgrounds on Day One of the 2010 Fest. Between now and April, most Jazz Fest veterans will be going over the list of performers with a fine-tooth comb, planning, scheming and rationalizing and getting all twitchy about who they will see and who they will miss seeing while seeing who they will see. It's like an endurance test for New Orleans-loving neurotics.

"Hello. My name is Sal and I am a New Orleans-loving neurotic."

I've given up trying to explain the phenomenon that is New Orleans and its Jazz Fest.  I will say one thing, you either get it or you don't.

Few don't.

You can find all you need to know at www.nojazzfest.com, or you can just ask me.

In the meantime, I was inspired.

Here's a "Weekend Mix" featuring just a small sampling of the artists that will be appearing this year, in one form or another.

(I am well aware that James Booker is dead, but I still haven't given up hope that he may show up...somewhere. I mean, EVERYONE ends up playing with Galactic.)


TRACKLIST

Sing It- Marcia Ball, Irma Thomas, & Tracey Nelson
Zacadacas- The Iguanas
Days Of Elaine- The Decemberists
Poinciana- Ahmad Jamal
Honky Tonk- Bobby "Blue" Bland
Me Donkey Want Water- Tab Benoit & the Voices Of The Wetlands
On The Tip Of My Tongue- New Orleans' Bingo Show
Penny Lane/I Saw Her Standing There- James Booker
Misty Mountain Hop- Robert Plant & Band Of Joy
I Don't Work That Cheap-Bill Kirchen
Sham-A-Ling-Dong-Ding- Jesse Winchester
Here Dey Come- The Wild Tchoupitoulas
Samba de Orfeu/Struttin' With Some Barbecue- Anat Cohen
Chameleon/We Want The Funk- Los Hombres Calientes
At the Foot Of Canal Street- Paul Sanchez & The Rolling Road Show

ZIP FILE

3 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Great mix!

And what a treat on a cold snowy day!

Thanks Sal and have a wonderful weekend.

misospecial said...

yes, just the thing to keep me sane in this deep freeze... thanks, sal!

Frozen Mango said...

Jazz Fest is the best - no other festival compares!