Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Verbatim





"Come on New York, raise your hands! This ain't f**king Jersey. Awright. Awright. Now, we've had a great summer, and we couldn't have done this without hardcore fans like you. You're the best. But, I want to send this next song out...we spent some time in South Dakota this summer...and...we met some really special people. People...our soldiers...(cheers)...that's right. F**KING USA! So this song is for the...our new special friends.  I wanna send this out to Battalion...(looks offstage)...what...this is for the Battalion...uh...f**k...whatever, like 68th Battalion or something."
--Sal Scoca, Lead singer of Sweet Cyanide.


The band satisfied all my hard rock and metal needs with their not-so-short, and sometimes unintentionally hilarious set. They even pulled off what would have been a perfect cover of Alice Cooper's "Go To Hell," except the singer changed the lyrics to first person

"I'd do this...I'd do that. I can go to hell."

Why? Ask Sal Scoca.

If I saw Sweet Cyanide listed again as an opening band, I think I'd show up late, even at the risk of hearing brilliant patter.








5 comments:

Gene Oberto said...

Thrash: Your lyrics are infused with heavy detail and raw emotion. What is it that normally gives you inspiration when writing lyrics and is there a concept behind the writing of your s/t?

Sal- Lyric writing is a strange thing for me; alot of my song ideas came from watching people around me going through crazy stuff in their lives, So it's a careful mix of detail and symbolism or vagueness. I don't want to piss off my friends by singing about their problems and personal business and at the same time, i don't want to bury the initial ideas and feelings under so much lyrical camouflage that it loses it's meaning or emotion. The main idea of the record was a loosely connected concept of different lives falling to pieces , etc. like a "people-watchers" delight!!! It's kinda creepy in a way...

...and the interview (along with the IQ level) goes downhill from there. Oh yeah, this is a band I want to see.

Sal, Sweet Cyanide is opening...I'll meet you in the lobby bar.

Spookywolffe said...

I saw Alice Cooper last summer, and he sings "Go To Hell" in first person now as well, so perhaps that's where they got the idea.

Sal Nunziato said...

Why, Spookyewolfe, why?

Eric said...

oozing with disdain....is that ur blood type?

disdain from u is acerbic with a tint of sugar....

LSD said...

BRILLIANT!