Thursday, December 17, 2015

Well, They're In!





It's the most wonderful time of the year. Family and friends, egg nog and tinsel, chestnuts and open fires, and of course, those heartwarming discussions about the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

"Steve Miller hasn't made a good record since Sailor!"

"N.W.A. isn't rock and roll!"

"Adele is our generation's Mirabai."

Yeah, I don't care too much about any of it to get worked up. I am happy when people I like get in and if they don't, they don't. But I am over the moon for Cheap Trick, a band I have loved since their debut And Cheap Trick are now 2016 inductees into the RNRHOF.

Robin Zander, Rick Nielsen, Tom Petersson and good ol' Bun E. Carlos, congratulations.

Listen to something other than their hits today.



6 comments:

William Repsher said...

For a Christmas present for an old friend a few years ago, I got him an eight track copy of Heaven Tonight. Of course, neither of us has an 8-track player anymore, but the sensation of holding that strange plastic box with tape in our hands was like having 1978 in our hands.

buzzbabyjesus said...

I saw Cheap Trick at The Starwood in Hollywood, owned by gangster Eddie Nash*, in 1977. John Cale was the opening act.
I was already a fan, that first lp is still my favorite, and in the small club, they absolutely killed. Bun E had the biggest bass drum I'd ever seen and for the finale used baseball bat sized music store display sticks. Behind them was a wall of amp cabinets. I still have a Rick Nielsen pick or two. I'd never seen anyone wear so many guitars at one time.
One of the best shows I've ever seen.


*One scary dude. wikipedia says: "Eddie Nash (born Adel Gharib Nasrallah in June 1929 is a former nightclub and restaurant manager in Los Angeles, as well as a convicted gangster and drug dealer; he is best known as the alleged mastermind of the Wonderland Murders."

A high school friend ended up selling drugs for him. One day "Scott" showed up in a BMW with a breifcase full of hard drugs, sheets of acid. I never saw him again.

I encountered Eddie in the club once and he sized me up with reptilian coldness.

cmealha said...

Wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes they get it right. A couple of years ago, Hall & Oates; this year Cheap Trick; someday Todd. I was also pulling for Yes and NIN but maybe next time.

Troy said...

Big CT fan here, and I am thrilled for them. Well deserved, and you can see how they have influenced a generation of musicians (Billy Corgan, Dave Grohl, etc). I listened to Music for Hangovers yesterday, and will probably play it again today.

soundsource said...

no shit how the fuck did that happen. They must have dosed the voters. Next thing you know they'll let Procol Harum in.

Jobe said...

Or heaven forbid "The Replacements"